Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Please help... is this what I think it is? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Please help... is this what I think it is? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Please help... is this what I think it is?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mmbrown
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 4
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Please help... is this what I think it is? Empty
PostSubject: Please help... is this what I think it is?   Please help... is this what I think it is? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:24 am

Hi everyone, first post here.

I have a 10g with 1 BN (I know it is too small but I have had a hard time organizing an upgrade) as well as 1 betta- they get along great. We have had the BN in there since December. Specs:
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Trace ammonia at 0.25 we can't get rid of
TopFin 10 filter, cleaned about every month because of brown gunk buildup in the impeller
Water changes/gravel vacs every week

The BN is fed once every few days with either a Hikari algae wafer or a slice of zucchini. There is also driftwood in the tank.

So, the problem is that she is kind of pudgy. I feel like she has looked this way ever since the start of summer, when we first added the driftwood, but I am just now realizing it could be a bad thing. At first she rasped on the driftwood nonstop and so I thought she just had a full stomach from over eating. But this may no longer be the case. What is this- bloat, constipation, parasites? I am very worried. Because of a lack of information, my boyfriend and I had a very rough start to fishkeeping but this girl has survived it all, and we both really love her. I'm so nervous that we are going to lose her. She acts normal in every other way.

Please, if you could help me identify what is going on (wouldn't it be nice if you told me this is normal looking for plecos and I'm just being silly?) as well as give me a course of action. I feel like I should just start with peas (they have to be fresh, right, not frozen?) in case it is constipation as it couldn't hurt. Also, I have not seen her poop recently (I am living in a different city over the summer and do not get to see her often) so I cannot say whether it is white or normal.

I cannot get the images to load onto this site. But if you go to imgur with the extensions /VNgfx and /RIve7 after the com then you will see them.
Back to top Go down
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
KYANGELSNCORYS

Male Number of posts : 187
Job/hobbies : BASS/CRAPPIE FISHING-TROPICAL FISH
Humor : MY KIDS TELL ME IM OLDER THEN DIRT
Thank You Points : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: eggs   Please help... is this what I think it is? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Please help... is this what I think it is? 4168505391 glad to have you here , the female maybe full of eggs and ready to spawn , if you know someone with a male you can take her over to his house and put her in his tank with the male for a wk or two or untill they spawn. it mite be bloat but i dought it. do you know its a female ?
Back to top Go down
Mmbrown
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Please help... is this what I think it is?   Please help... is this what I think it is? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi, thanks very much for the reply. I'm a worry wart Smile

I do know for certain she's a she, since she's about 2 to 3 inches long at this point and doesn't have a single bristle anywhere. (Wish we had known her gender when we named her - feels silly to call a female "Chester"!)

I do hope very much she just has eggs in her. Though, I wish we knew someone with a male. It would be so cool to have a spawn. Maybe one day Smile
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Male Number of posts : 224
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Please help... is this what I think it is?   Please help... is this what I think it is? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Looks like it is time for Chester to go on a "playdate". Nice one
Back to top Go down
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
KYANGELSNCORYS

PostSubject: pics ?   Please help... is this what I think it is? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 5:52 pm

where are you from ? and do you have any pics of her ?
Back to top Go down
Mmbrown
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Please help... is this what I think it is?   Please help... is this what I think it is? EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm from Virginia. I couldn't get the pictures uploaded but I described how to find them in the first post. Unfortunately I don't have any others - I couldn't get one of her on the glass yesterday. She decided to explore everywhere BUT good picture taking territory.
Back to top Go down
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
KYANGELSNCORYS

PostSubject: update ?   Please help... is this what I think it is? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:52 am

keep us posted on how chester is doing

Nice one
Back to top Go down
Mmbrown
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Please help... is this what I think it is?   Please help... is this what I think it is? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi again, sorry for such a delayed reply but I have been out of town and just recently got back.

I did (finally) manage to snap a picture of her on the glass. Again, if you go to imgur, the extension is .com/ib55J.

Hoping this picture is good enough to see!

If she is egg bound, what will happen?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help... is this what I think it is?   Please help... is this what I think it is? Empty

Back to top Go down

Please help... is this what I think it is?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Pleco Hospital-
Jump to: