Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile




 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Getting a non breeding pair.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Getting a non breeding pair.   Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:39 pm

This might sound like a totally crazy question and against the grain of a lot of members. But I currently have a male Bristlenose in my tank and I am thinking of buying a female (as apparently males tend to fight with each other when introduced at different times). So I don't want them to breed Shocked . I just don't want the dramas of eggs, fry etc. Nor do I just want to keep adding tanks. Also I can't sell them for anything here in Germany so why have the expense and hassles of raising them
So I guess the question is that, if a male and female are in a tank together with lots of wood caves as I have. How easily are they to breed ???
How do I throw ice on the party so to speak ?
Or should I forget about getting a female altogether.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kfenk
Moderator
Moderator


Male Number of posts : 1432
Age : 32
Location : Adelaide, South Australia
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Getting a non breeding pair.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 am

Where there's a will there's a way. And with bn there is limitless will lol. Basically your better off with all female or start collecting different species of bn and dwarf plecos. Oh and just to make sure you know (you probably do anyways) commons, albinos, calico, marble, L144s, super reds, green dragons and any of the longfins are all the same species.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 187
Age : 66
Location : FRANKLIN ,KENTUCKY
Job/hobbies : BASS/CRAPPIE FISHING-TROPICAL FISH
Humor : MY KIDS TELL ME IM OLDER THEN DIRT
Thank You Points : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: all males   Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:35 am

You could get several males and keep them in your tank , i keep my extra males all together last time i counted there was 7 males in the tank together. they chase each other some times but i have had them together for almost a yr now and i have never had any of them hurt or killed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting a non breeding pair.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 am

KYANGELSNCORYS wrote:
You could get several males and keep them in your tank , i keep my extra males all together last time i counted there was 7 males in the tank together. they chase each other some times but i have had them together for almost a yr now and i have never had any of them hurt or killed.
Hi;
What size tank is it ????
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting a non breeding pair.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:28 am

kfenk wrote:
Where there's a will there's a way. And with bn there is limitless will lol. Basically your better off with all female or start collecting different species of bn and dwarf plecos. Oh and just to make sure you know (you probably do anyways) commons, albinos, calico, marble, L144s, super reds, green dragons and any of the longfins are all the same species.
That is what I thought, I just bought a Flash pleco, just because of that. I was just hoping (misplaced) that maybe I could get other Bristlenoses as they are cheap and easy to get.
But you do mention in your answer other species of bn, what are those?
I always thought that all Bristlenoses are the same species as you detailed in the later part of your answer.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kfenk
Moderator
Moderator


Male Number of posts : 1432
Age : 32
Location : Adelaide, South Australia
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Getting a non breeding pair.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 am

bristlenoses were given that name for the exact reason the males have bristle like appendages on the front half of theyre head. Some female bn of different species also have some bristles, which can be seen in Curbys Bristlenoseworld banner at the top of the screen. Bristlenoses belong the the Genus Ancistrus and from what iv read there are 50+ species belonging the Ancistrus family. Now overseas they dont have what we call Peppermint bristlenoses here in aus as from what iv been told they are actually a mix of a couple similar species. But iv also been told they could be the L071/L181 that are available outside australia. Heres the PlanetCatfish page for Ancistrus for all your drooling needs Smile http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=4 Oh and you could try pot luck and next time your at the LFS you ordered your Flash Pleco through ask them to flick through what orders you could get in just by using Ancistrus as the key word. Neva know you mite find something nice. I heard that Medusa plecos tickle some peoples fancy so if you like you could ask for one of those Very Happy

If iv given out any false information, anyone feel free to correct me. I dont consider myself a professional when it comes to plecos, i just enjoy the hobby and soaking up as much information as i possibly can from wherever i can find it Wink

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mooo
Moderator
Moderator


Female Number of posts : 957
Age : 55
Location : Jervis Bay, NSW, Australia
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Getting a non breeding pair.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:24 am

Right on Karl Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livefish.com.au
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting a non breeding pair.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

kfenk wrote:
bristlenoses were given that name for the exact reason the males have bristle like appendages on the front half of theyre head. Some female bn of different species also have some bristles, which can be seen in Curbys Bristlenoseworld banner at the top of the screen. Bristlenoses belong the the Genus Ancistrus and from what iv read there are 50+ species belonging the Ancistrus family. Now overseas they dont have what we call Peppermint bristlenoses here in aus as from what iv been told they are actually a mix of a couple similar species. But iv also been told they could be the L071/L181 that are available outside australia. Heres the PlanetCatfish page for Ancistrus for all your drooling needs Smile http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=4 Oh and you could try pot luck and next time your at the LFS you ordered your Flash Pleco through ask them to flick through what orders you could get in just by using Ancistrus as the key word. Neva know you mite find something nice. I heard that Medusa plecos tickle some peoples fancy so if you like you could ask for one of those Very Happy

If iv given out any false information, anyone feel free to correct me. I dont consider myself a professional when it comes to plecos, i just enjoy the hobby and soaking up as much information as i possibly can from wherever i can find it Wink
Thank you that is awesome information. I thought that most Ancistrus where made equally.
I was just worried that the bristlenose I have (Species unknown, it is my avatar). Might see other Ancistrus as equal and will potentially fight if male and breed with if female.
Over the years of keeping different types of fish I have discovered that even thought they are from different species (Mollies and Swordtails in freshwater or different species of Clown fish in Marine) they will still breed.
I just want to be certain as I don't like making hybrids as I don't think that is good for the hobby. Plus I just don't want to breed them for the reasons given earlier.
But I will take your advice to heart and see my LFS, as these guys are just so dam cute Cool and I want more of them.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 187
Age : 66
Location : FRANKLIN ,KENTUCKY
Job/hobbies : BASS/CRAPPIE FISHING-TROPICAL FISH
Humor : MY KIDS TELL ME IM OLDER THEN DIRT
Thank You Points : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting a non breeding pair.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Good Job thats a good ansewer , very well said
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Getting a non breeding pair.   Today at 1:38 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Getting a non breeding pair.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» For sale proven breeding pair of longfins
» Breeding pair of angelfish for sale or swap
» EOI: Longfin Albino breeding pair
» l181 Bristlenose breeding pair
» Will breeding pair spawn with fry in same tank 2.can I add a new female to trio

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: