Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Long Fin/short fin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chocolateplaty
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 1
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Long Fin/short fin   Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Hello,
I am new to the forum and am enjoying what I have read so far. I have a question which has bothered me for many months now concerning the genetics for the fins.

I read that the long fin gene is considered to be recessive which I had agreed with when I first happened to find my albino long fins had spawned. They were spawning every 2 weeks and all the fry had long fins. Now when they spawn I am getting short finned albinos too. I don't no what to make of this.

My study of genetics with rabbits, guinea pigs, cats, and hamsters all say to obtain the long hair, both parents must have or carry the long hair gene which would make the gene recessive.

So breeding the long finned plecos, I assumed the fry would all be long finned.

I noticed something else but I do not know if this plays into this gene of not. It seems to me the normal bodied albinos I am getting seem chunky, rather short bodied in comparison to the albino fry.

Can anyone explain? Or do I have a pair of unusual fish?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Long Fin/short fin   Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Welcome to the forum Smile

Here is a good spot to start when it comes to genetics of the bristlenose

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/t2500-crosses-interbreeding-bristlenose-updated

The genetics of the fin length is far from settled and as far as i can tell without a detailed genetic analysis it will never be. The problem is that there are general rules that apply 90% of the time but then you get the odd one that totally throws a spanner in the works.

In terms of chunkyness, that sounds to me like a trait (like I'm taller and broader than most people, while my cousin is short and a bit weedy).

GO TO www.keepingandbreedingbristlenose.com FOR YOUR COPY!!

Like my book - why not "Like" it on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keeping-and-Breeding-Bristlenose-Catfish/142417842474993
Click here to vote for Bristlenose World
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 380
Job/hobbies : CNA @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Long Fin/short fin   Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:06 pm

There seems to be a lot of debate on whether BNs follow standard Mendelion genetics or not.

As for the "chunkiness" it may be an optical illusion. I have a LF common male who I swear seems slender and more sleek compared to my SF albino but actuality it's just that his head isn't as wide...I think the long flowing fins trick our eyes into seeing length as opposed to short fins that flatter girth. But who knows, maybe your guys are chunky and mine just have huge heads, lol!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Fin/short fin   Today at 4:52 pm

Back to top Go down

Long Fin/short fin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1