Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile




 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Important info regarding Tank-busters.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:46 pm

The problem of tank-busters is something that should be stopped.
I have found a really worthwhile campaign that we all should have a look at.
The link for it is:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5145#comment3837
So check it out it is really worthwhile.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose


Female Number of posts : 93
Age : 58
Location : Reno, Nevada
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm

Its about time somebody took a stand on this. I even take issue with the sale of so many of the cute, tiny Oscars. At the LFS where I work one of the owners insisted that we always take in any fish including large fish. Course, he knows more about ponds than aquariums and had no idea what a Pacu was til one came in. It was almost the size of a basket ball and we sold it for $15 in 3 days to someone with a 300 gallon setup. I only sold big fish for a small price if i knew you were an advanced fish keeper with large tanks. I sold a large Red tail for $60 and rehomed over a dozen large Oscars the same way only asking for $5-10 each (which barely covered feeding them)
I absolutely agree with Practical Fishkeepings stand on this issue. Where i work we even counsel the truely committed people on the ease of constructing indoor ponds for their tank busters. Also, being a lover of the bristlenose, it was easy to sell them, as opposed to the generic plecs that attain a large size (which we didn't carry ). I took in a 17 year old common Plec that had lived its whole life in a 10 gallon aquarium UGH ! It was only 9 inches long with a crooked spine. It was in the store for 2 hours when one of my "rescuers' came in and I gifted it to her. This 17 year old is now living out the rest of its years in a 110 gallon aquarium. I think Oscars as well as the inexpensive, generic Plecs should also be on the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Aleishoo wrote:
Its about time somebody took a stand on this. I even take issue with the sale of so many of the cute, tiny Oscars. At the LFS where I work one of the owners insisted that we always take in any fish including large fish. Course, he knows more about ponds than aquariums and had no idea what a Pacu was til one came in. It was almost the size of a basket ball and we sold it for $15 in 3 days to someone with a 300 gallon setup. I only sold big fish for a small price if i knew you were an advanced fish keeper with large tanks. I sold a large Red tail for $60 and rehomed over a dozen large Oscars the same way only asking for $5-10 each (which barely covered feeding them)
I absolutely agree with Practical Fishkeepings stand on this issue. Where i work we even counsel the truely committed people on the ease of constructing indoor ponds for their tank busters. Also, being a lover of the bristlenose, it was easy to sell them, as opposed to the generic plecs that attain a large size (which we didn't carry ). I took in a 17 year old common Plec that had lived its whole life in a 10 gallon aquarium UGH ! It was only 9 inches long with a crooked spine. It was in the store for 2 hours when one of my "rescuers' came in and I gifted it to her. This 17 year old is now living out the rest of its years in a 110 gallon aquarium. I think Oscars as well as the inexpensive, generic Plecs should also be on the list.
I am so glad someone has taken notice.
It has been days since I first posted it.
You are right, what might look cute when it is small, but after a while people just do not know what to do with them. Public Aquariums will no longer take them, that leaves only a tortured life or the lucky ones a quick death.
That is not only sad but plain irresponsible.
Luckily there are LFS's like yours that care beyond just making a quick buck.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose


Female Number of posts : 93
Age : 58
Location : Reno, Nevada
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:39 pm

This article was in Tropical Fish Hobbyist's August issue. He has video of his ponds listed on utube. He's got the right idea.

Enjoy !

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/an-aquarists-journal-starting-in-the-fishkeeping-hobby-full-article.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Aleishoo wrote:
This article was in Tropical Fish Hobbyist's August issue. He has video of his ponds listed on utube. He's got the right idea.

Enjoy !

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/an-aquarists-journal-starting-in-the-fishkeeping-hobby-full-article.htm
Great article. A pond is certainly the answer.
You are lucky being in Arizona where it is pretty warm.
No such luck here in Europe. A tropical pond would have to be indoors or with huge heaters.
Well soon i will get out of here and then back home to Australia. There something like that is more realistic.
But everyone sold such Tank-busters should be made aware that a pond might be required.
Maybe some sort of licence system would help (but I guess we have enough licences and permits to worry about, I don't know).
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kfenk
Moderator
Moderator


Male Number of posts : 1432
Age : 32
Location : Adelaide, South Australia
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:57 am

when fish are sold personally i think the full size and how long it takes them to get that big should be informed to potential buyers. iv seen 30cm oscars in 2ft tanks before and it makes me sick!

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:25 am

kfenk wrote:
when fish are sold personally i think the full size and how long it takes them to get that big should be informed to potential buyers. iv seen 30cm oscars in 2ft tanks before and it makes me sick!
You are so right. Education and correct labeling should be a must.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose


Female Number of posts : 93
Age : 58
Location : Reno, Nevada
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:21 pm

As well as knowing about the fish they sell, people who work in LFS's also need to take the time to get to know their customers. We had a customer the other day that has several saltwater tanks including a large reef and spends a fair amount of money on his hobby and we figured he was fairly educated. He said he wanted to buy our large Volitan Lionfish. Luckily, it takes a bit of time to prepare to capture a large venomous fish so in the meantime we chatted about his other fish when out of of the blue he says " Will he get along fine with all my clownfish ? " Shocked
And Yes, we still have our lionfish. This just another prime example of why you don't buy fish on a whim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Aleishoo wrote:
As well as knowing about the fish they sell, people who work in LFS's also need to take the time to get to know their customers. We had a customer the other day that has several saltwater tanks including a large reef and spends a fair amount of money on his hobby and we figured he was fairly educated. He said he wanted to buy our large Volitan Lionfish. Luckily, it takes a bit of time to prepare to capture a large venomous fish so in the meantime we chatted about his other fish when out of of the blue he says " Will he get along fine with all my clownfish ? " Shocked
And Yes, we still have our lionfish. This just another prime example of why you don't buy fish on a whim.
You are so right when I was working in a LFS in Sydney, I also found that even the most apparent experienced keeper get carried away with seeing something "cool" at the shop not thinking about what else they might have.
The thing with the Lionfish was a good move
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bristlelover
Fish Egg
Fish Egg


Female Number of posts : 3
Age : 29
Location : Victoria, BC
Job/hobbies : Biochemist
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:45 pm

My LFS has a trade-in option. Once your common pleco gets too big you can bring him to the store and they give you a small one while they keep the large pleco for people with big tanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:12 pm

bristlelover wrote:
My LFS has a trade-in option. Once your common pleco gets too big you can bring him to the store and they give you a small one while they keep the large pleco for people with big tanks.
Now that is excellent, a lot of different shops should take a leaf out of your LFS's book.
That is really responsible and cool.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Important info regarding Tank-busters.   Today at 1:58 am

Back to top Go down
 
Important info regarding Tank-busters.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» JAN 2011 ALDI SPECIAL BUY ***IMPORTANT INFO***
» Kit 17 Belly Tank - More Info
» Bought a Latino ST-120 and need info.
» Burrell 4" - help required re getting water from tank to boiler
» MY RACKING AN REBUILT TANK

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: