Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker  Button

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker  Empty
PostSubject: Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker    Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 am

These guys are IMO one of the best- charming, peaceful, responsive, and a lot of fun. They become "pets" if you engage them, learn to hand feed, and allow touching. Mine flip over into the upside down position when I touch their snout with the coral feeder to "suck" bbs from it like a baby bottle. Their skin sensitivity is amazing, if a piece of food, even a flake, touches them anywhere while they are swimming they spin around and grab it.

They do have drawbacks: large size (8+ inches), very long lifespan (15 year or more commitment), a rambunctious nature that can create havoc in a landscaped tank, large appetite meaning lots of waste, and a playful disregard for other species, meaning they pay little attention to dominance or aggressive displays. Ironically I find they are also remarkably gentle, rarely pushing or bullying even small corys or botia over a food source. I know others have different experiences, some sources say they are very aggressive toward other bottom feeders, but my 3 are not at all.

Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker  Nov11_11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doug
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker    Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 pm

I used to have one and loved it!

Such a cool fish!

GO TO www.keepingandbreedingbristlenose.com FOR YOUR COPY!!

Like my book - why not "Like" it on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keeping-and-Breeding-Bristlenose-Catfish/142417842474993
Click here to vote for Bristlenose World
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker    Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 am

yes, they are so very cool!

Another thing, I forgot because I don't see them do it any more. They used to lay out in the open much like the pic, while 2 or 3 young cory cats would basically "groom" them. The cories would explore all over them with their barbels paying special attention to the fins, particularly that gorgeous dorsal. I have no idea what the catfish (either species) was getting out of it, but it seemed enjoyable to all- the synodontis never left first, but always stayed till the cories had had enough. I suppose those fins could catch all sorts of tiny things, perhaps edible ones. I wish I had taken a pic, now that the cories are adult they no longer do it. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker    Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker  Empty

Back to top Go down

Synodontis eupterus/Featherfin squeaker
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Tropical's and Marine Section :: Fresh Photo's-
Jump to: