Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How to get a breeding trio Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How to get a breeding trio Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to get a breeding trio

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandon1993
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Brandon1993

Male Number of posts : 80
Job/hobbies : Floor finisher/bristlenoses
Humor : Yess
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2012-12-08

How to get a breeding trio Empty
PostSubject: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi there, I have a successful breeding pair of albino bristlenose catfish and have another female so the ratio is 1m to 2f but they don't breed in a trio only a pair and was wondering whether there was a technique or something to turn a breeding pair into a breeding trio
Kind regards
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi,unfortunately there is not much you can do about it.The female that breeds will be the dominant or more mature female and the other may never get to breed with the male.Sometimes they will once they have matured more,is she a young bristlenose?
Back to top Go down
Brandon1993
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Brandon1993

PostSubject: Re: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm

So really it's just luck to get a breeding trio, my male is 10cm, the breeding female is 11cm and the female that isn't breeding is about 9cm
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Well it depends on a few things really and you usualy tend to see that the biggest or most mature female will usualy be the one that breeds with the male but in time the other one may well start to aswell.Let her mature some more and see what happens.

Was she put into the tank later than the others?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 8:36 pm

what i find happening is that if the larger female and the smaller female get along ok then they will both spawn in the cave with the male. the top girl will spawn first, then generally the second female will sneak in after a day or so and spawn as well so you end up with two lots of eggs in the same cave. Often this happens without you noticing, i know i often missed it then wondered how the hell one female could make 150 eggs :O
Back to top Go down
Brandon1993
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Brandon1993

PostSubject: Re: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Could you seperate the 2 females and have the smaller female with the male than when she has layed her eggs and move her back to the main tank and move the bigger female after, do you think that would that work
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes you can certainly do that.If you just leave the male with the smaller female for her to lay eggs (as long as she is old enough/big enough to lay eggs ) she will more than likely do so but give her time.

However once you put the other female back it will probably revert back to how it was,but in time they may both lay eggs.

If you mean to just keep swapping them over for them to lay eggs? That is possible but each time you do that they will need to settle in again and it may cause stress to keep moving them like that.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brandon1993
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Brandon1993

PostSubject: Re: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:44 pm

I think my smaller one is ready because my common female is smaller and she lays eggs once a month ill try it next time and see if it can get a trio going and if it doesn't work ill just let them sort it out between them selfs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get a breeding trio   How to get a breeding trio Empty

Back to top Go down

How to get a breeding trio
Page 1 of 1