Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life? Empty
PostSubject: Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life?   Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm

This may be a stupid question. But I swear my LF common male that I post about bristles have gotten even longer! Even my BF said something to me about it unprovoked as i had not said anything to him yet!

Recent-ish changes include:
A proper cave, which he loves and rarely leaves.
A different diet. I used to feed primarily wafers with fresh veggies a couple times a week. Now it's opposite. They get fresh almost continuously and wafers when I run out of fresh or if I am too just working my BF will give them wafers to hold them over till I get some time off.

Do their bristles always grow? I'll snap a pic next time he comes out.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life?   Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 am

Hi,I believe that the bristles do very slowly keep growing with the fish.You usually see the biggest bristles in the older fish.I also believe that they can have a small growth spurt due to some hormone influence.You usually see smaller bristles in the younger fish and also the sub males if they are in a tank with another more dominant male.If you remove the sub males and give him his own tank with cave you will most often see that he slowly developes bigger fuller bristles.So yes it is very possible for your male to have grown bigger bristles Smile

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life?   Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 pm

That is really interesting! Thanks for the reply. It look like my juvies are Sexing out too! I have one LF calico female that I put up with my LF Common male. It's looking like all 3 of my green dragons are male :,( And I am suspicious that my other LF calico as well as my short fin calico are females. That means the 3 green dragons i got from one source are all male and the 3 calicos from another source are possibly all female. i just find that a little bizzare! I am now working on getting more pieces of driftwood so I can seperate the known males into seperate tanks. Anybody ever breed a green dragon to a calico before? At the moment that seems to be the pairing I have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life?   Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do the bristles grow continuously throughout life?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: