Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

First Time Breeding L010A Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

First Time Breeding L010A Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First Time Breeding L010A

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

Female Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Quest for the unusual plecos!
Humor : Om nom nom?
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-09

First Time Breeding L010A Empty
PostSubject: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi everyone!

As this is the first time these guys have spawned, I am unsure as to how different they are to standard bns. So how does one raise them, do they need special requirements, ect? Any information on raising the eggs/fry would be very much appreciated! Very Happy

Ok so my lovely lizards whiptails, of which I have 2 males and 1 female, interestingly enough spawned for the first time since I've had them. Though I'm not sure on the trigger, it could possibly have been that I put a new cannister filter on recently, or that Perth's weather has had a cool couple of days out of its very humid heat wave. They spawned in a standard terracotta cave and the temp of the water was about 27.C.
Both males rarely stay in the caves for long periods of time. The female had been hiding in this cave for the past couple of days, then the male instead hid in it. Friday night I was relaxing next to the tank and saw the male's head moving about at the entrance and that's what made me think something was going on. After a few tentative attempts at gently lighting up the cave I could just make out the female behind the male. She stayed in the cave for a whole day. Sure enough she's got a sunken belly when she came out, though I didn't think she was carrying eggs before spawning to be honest. She really didn't look plump at all. But she surprised me.

I've heard stories the inexperienced males tend to eat their eggs and after watching him, I noticed a couple of empty shells float past. Normally I let nature take its course but I decided to tumble the eggs this time round. And boy can cave and gravel be deceiving! When I initially looked inside I could see a few green eggs, I was expecting to see a cluster in there, like the bns. These eggs were scattered around, stuck to the gravel in the cave, so I was only expecting to pull out maybe 20-30 eggs. Nope. There was a huge batch, and I counted them all as they went into the tumbler.

108 Eggs! Shocked

Here's some piccies:

Older picture of the male, notice the gorgeous sideburns. First Time Breeding L010A L010A-Male-1

Can you see the random egg stuck to his left pectoral fin? First Time Breeding L010A L010A-Male

Female after coming out of the cave. Notice the thinner belly. First Time Breeding L010A L010A-Female

Eggs in DIY tumbler. First Time Breeding L010A L010A-Eggs-Tumbler

Slightly closer shot of eggs in tumbler. First Time Breeding L010A L010A-Eggs-Tumbler-side
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

SO MUCH AWESOME!!
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Wow, impressive! Good luck with them, and updates w/pics pleeese!

Sarah First Time Breeding L010A 3335189316
Back to top Go down
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:20 am

Haha thanks guys! I will be updating definitely. But if anyone has advice on whiptail raising please share your tips. Smile

I'm going in blind here and would love for these guys to survive! :P
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Unfortunately I have no ideas for tips... If it were me, i'd first try them on whatever the parents are eating.

Good job though!!

Once you figure it all out (because I'm confident you'll have some success) you should write up an article or journal about your experiences!
Back to top Go down
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Haha cheers mate. I have read that whiptail fry do not actively search for food, so I'm just wondering if lizard whips do the same thing. But I will document my success or failure so others have some info on it Smile

There seems to be limited info on raising whiptail types, so I'm kinda worried. I just hope they survive.

Either way, anything that I discover I will post here in this thread Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:19 pm

A small update on the eggs. These are 3 days old. I'm sooooo happy this came out so clear. Look, you can even see the little embryo forming just outside the yolk sac.
This is probably the best shot I've ever taken of eggs at close range Smile
First Time Breeding L010A L010A-Eggs-Tumbler_3DaysOld
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 11:58 am

Not sure how I missed that pic months ago, but AWESOME shot! How did the adventuer go?
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 11:56 pm

i would love to know too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Time Breeding L010A   First Time Breeding L010A Empty

Back to top Go down

First Time Breeding L010A
Page 1 of 1