Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

Female Number of posts : 23
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-02-27

Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose   Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 am

I currently have 2 male platies, a female betta, and a black mystery snail. They're in a 5-gallon tank, which is working pretty well for them, but I'm considering setting up my 20 gallon long tank for them, partly so they'll have more room and partly because I'd like to get an albino bristlenose. I like plecos in general, but the bristlenoses are the only ones I've seen locally that don't get really huge. If I do set up my 20 long, it'll probably be a while before I do, because it's currently in storage, and I would have to shovel a bunch of snow out of the way in order to open the shed it's in.

In the meantime, I want to learn more about bristlenoses so I'll be ready if and when I get one. I guess I only have a few questions at this point.

1. What should I look for in order to get a healthy bristlenose?
2. How big of a container/tank will I need to quarantine the bristlenose before putting it with my other fish? I don't have a lot of space, and I wouldn't be able to fit anything on the stand with my 20 long.
3. Is there any reason to think a bristlenose wouldn't get along with the fish and snail I have now? My betta was slightly aggressive when I put the first platy in with her, but she got used to her companions pretty quickly and doesn't bother them at all.
4. What advice do you have for feeding a bristlenose with other fish in the tank (amount/frequency of feedings, keeping other fish from eating the bn's food, etc.)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
aidenh48
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
aidenh48

Male Number of posts : 79
Job/hobbies : fish keeping, fishing, and rc cars
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose   Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Hey froglady, how is life up in Alaska? I'm in Boston and want want to take a trip to Alaska in the worst way! I love to fish and hunt, and will make it out there someday. Anyways welcome to the site, and you came to the right place. Their are a ton of people here that can answer just about any questions on bn you may have. Here is my opinion for your questions
1. I would buy a young bristlenose, and look for an active one, and if the store or breeder has some food in the tank, get one that is feeding. So far in my experience with bn the first sign of a problem is them not eating.
2. If you buy a young bn, then a fully cycled even a 1gal could do the job, but I would go with a minimum of a 5gal tank. Make sure it is filtered and fully cycled.
3. Bristlenose Plecos will get along with any fish. They are a very peaceful fish. If anything they get picked on before they will pick on another fish. The only issues I have ever seen, is with two mature males fighting over a breeding tube, or cave, or territory, and still it has never been serious.
4. As far as feeding. I feed my 11 bn and 130 fry, blanched zucchini, cucumber, and yellow squash, canned un salted green beans with beans removed, un shelled peas, algae wafers, and algae pellets. In my big tank, I have guppies, rams, Cory cats, pea puffers, and a bunch of assorted tetras, and none of them go anyway near the Plecos food. I know that the beta will eat plant matter so I would just feed the beta first, then put in the pleco food. Be careful not to over feed, and stay away from feeding the bn pleco any high protein foods as they can cause bloat, which can kill them.
Good luck, and bristlenose Plecos are a great choice for your 20gal. Have fun!! Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose 3675536318
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose   Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 am

Hello and welcome again Smile Always glad to see a new and RESPONSIBLE fish enthusiast! Here are my answers to your questions. Please note, everyone does things differently, and in the end advice is just that, advice. Take bits and pieces from Everyone and do what seems best for you and your unique situation.

1) I would mostly look at the belly. If the belly is sunken in then it is most likely a starved fish. If the belly is huge it may be bloated from an improper diet. Also I would look to see if there is any driftwood in the tanks they are kept in. Look at the eyes. Cloudiness is bad! The more you deal with fish the more you pick up on the subtleties that indicate health.

2) I usually use 10 gallons for quarantine tanks. I know many people that use Rubbermaid or similar containers for quarantine purposes. Make sure you add driftwood even to the quarantine tank!

3) I have no reason to suspect your Bristlenose would be bullied. Bristlenoses have been known to go up against oscars, and win!!

4) I feed my BNs canned no salt added green beans, cucumber, zucchini, and algae wafers. If I plan on feeding frozen foods or high protein foods then I will feed my BNs 30 mins to an hour before hand to ensure that they fill up on the appropriate food.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose   Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking about getting an albino bristlenose
Page 1 of 1