Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Chaase's Breeding log #2 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Chaase's Breeding log #2 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chaase's Breeding log #2

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

Chaase's Breeding log #2 Empty
PostSubject: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:57 am

COMMON Trio placed together into 4ft BN community tank on Wednesday 17th April 2013 along with Albino trio, 2x Albino fry (4cm) 5 Common sub-adults (4M, 1F)

Daily 15-20% water changes & gravel siphoning

Stats:
Ph = 7.6
Am, NI & NI = 0
Filtration = 1200-1500lph
Tank has been cycled since 10 Jan 2013

No chemicals added into my tanks.

Fed:
Cucumber, algae wafers, peas.

Male entered cave & became possessive on Saturday 20th April, chasing all females & males away viciously.

Successful spawn laid on Tuesday 23rd April midday. Common Male AKA Monster & Dark Common Female.

Disastrous day on Friday night - tank blew out. Emergency tank required all BN's inc eggs moved into the 2ft tank.

Monster was not happy with the move & attempted to abandon the eggs, I put him into the cave & blocked off the exit for about an hour. He settled back over the spawn happily.

Saturday 27th April - Wrigglers hatched at approximately 4pm.

On Tuesday 30th April I will be moving all fry from Monsters Cave to the breeding net as i am hoping to have a new 4ft tank by then!

Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Spawn #1 have so far had a 100% success rate. They are now happily munching away on a piece of driftwood in a breeding/holding net until they get a bit bigger. (2ish cm)

The move for the entire clan was made back into the 4ft on Sunday night after re-sealing & testing it over the past week. no issues.

Little did i know the Common male & a common female had spawned again on the Saturday (4/5/2013). I should have fry any day now. A nice little bunch. I also have 4 of the eggs in a tumbler as when they were moved from the 2ft to 4ft they became dislodged. - so far surviving.

A water change of 15% will be done tonight, I have 2 very gravid albino females waiting to pop... I will also be buying a tank divider for the 4ft to keep the commons & albino trio's separated.

So far so good!
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:43 pm

nice congrats
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:05 pm

So... Spawn #2 hatched on saturday 11th & have all been moved to the frysaver/growing net.

I have over 150 babies in here & probably 30 escapee's swimming freely in the tank.

I added a tank divider last week to separate the albino & common trio's. The commons have had their caves removed to give them a bit of a break.
The albino's are still deciding what to do & how to do it!

Both common females are ready to lay again, i will give dad another week or so to rest & then pop the caves back in Wink

I added some new massive pieces of driftwood this week to help lower pH levels as the water here is not that great (8.2)
Within 24hrs it has come down naturally to 7.4

Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 5:16 am

Spawn #3 laid today, I took the caves out a few days or so ago, apparently they were too ummmmmmm... well they laid under the driftwood..

I only found them after i had taken the whole lot out to do a big gravel clean. Daddy wouldn't get off the wood until i pulled the whole lot out... Now i know why :/
I didnt even see the eggs until AFTER i had finished the clean... a whole 5 minutes out of the water & sitting on a towel...

Daddy went straight back into the hole after i put it back in the water... lets see if they survive!

All of the fry from Sp 1 & 2 are now freeeeeeeeeeeeee in the tank, i have over 150 fry swimming about... I was going to leave them in for another week but the escapees are just a bit bigger & are just as happy... I am going to add another 1500lph to the filtering tomorrow. My fingers are crossed that this will help with any future filtering needs... If not i have another 1500lph external canister that i will use too! Wink

My marbled pair are starting to grow enough that anytime soon the Female could start spawning. she is just shy of 7cm.
The male has 4mm bristles & is happy to just sit under the filter... for now!

Nothing from the albino trio yet. I am thinking i may find a new make for them & see if anything happens - anyone have any ideas??? I have tried water changes, adding more caves, adding more wood, giving plenty of food...
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 11:16 am

Spawn 3 hatched over the last few days - I didnt think they were going to!!! Nice little wrigglers pushed up high into the log!

Spawn 4 I witnessed occurring at 9am this morning!! Sheesh... horny devils i have!

Water changes every day of 10-15%
pH - 7.2
Am, Ni & Ni - 0
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Congrats!

What on earth will you do with all those babies!?

I still have 50 ish in my 55gal tank. They are almost 2 months old. I plan to auction a lot of them off at the Florida Aquarium Fish Expo at the end of June. They will almost be 3 months then.

I keep my females seperate so I can deal with one brood at a time.
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptySat May 25, 2013 1:34 am

I know! Lots of babies,

I will be supplying the 2 local petstores here and also private buyers.. My list is almost as long as my arms!
I am going to take dad out of here as soon as the babies have all left the cave & pop him into my 2fter for a while Smile
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptySat May 25, 2013 5:45 pm

That''s good you have a plan for them : )
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 5:28 am

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
and Sad

My Common male decided to grow legs and walk on land the week after he let the last spawn out of the wood... Crap... Now to find another male...

On the upside... My albino trio have gone berserk. both females have been gravid for a long time but the male just was not ready.. With last weeks Low pressure systems, he decided that the new piece of drift wood was a perfect spot.. within 24hrs both females dropped a massive amount of eggs (Wednesday).

Today (Monday) I have a massive amount - over 100 - of tiny albino wrigglers... YAY!!! Now to just fatten them up & feed them well Smile

UPDATE:

Batch 1 are approximatly 2.5-3cm now & some are moving on to new homes in the next 3 weeks Smile
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:11 am

Well 80% of my initial spawn have sold Smile 

Over the last 2 days, the bio load on my filter has reduced drastically with over 60 3cm fry going into new homes Very Happy

So happy with the people in our town Smile So supportive of a home hobby that sells for 1/3 of the local market retail price in the shops Smile 

Sorry LFS, but that is 60 bristlenoses that you will not be making profit on Chaase's Breeding log #2 3813960834Chaase's Breeding log #2 3813960834
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 1:19 am

nice hope mine go fast
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Ok!
So after a 2 month break, I have 2 batches of eggs!!!
1x Albino LF male & Unknown female
1x Calico SF Male & Unknown female

The girls were either my SF Common or Albino, my SF calico & LF Albino are still gravid.

So... I had to strip the Calico's cave as he was not interested at all & I lost over 50% of the eggs overnight.

I have also managed to obtain a colony of Pepps who have spawned over the weekend also (friday morning 8am), they were coming up on their lifeline of 3 months & decided all 3 of the girls would spawn with the biggest boy.

I am not sure on any parameters as i do not want to disturb any of them.
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 1:04 am

Okdoki!
UPDATE!!!!

LF Albino Male has 100% albino fry, approx 100 of the little wrigglers!
SF Marble Male has what appears to be 75% marble babies & 25% common at this stage, approx 115! Now that is 50% of what i could save!! WOW

Pepps have about 75 fry!

Water parameters
4ft BN colony - 7 adults, 70ish fry 1-6cm
pH - 7.4
Am - 0
N2 - 0
N3 - 5
Temp 27.1
2700Lph filtration
Lights on for 12 hrs

3ft Pepp tank - 6 adults 3m, 3f
pH - 7.4
Am - 0
N2 - 0
N3 - 0
Temp 28.2
1200lph Filtration
No lights & 100% covered with towels & hood to keep it dark
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 7:15 am

Nice!!
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:41 am

Yep Smile Somehow i always manage to get big batches!!!

Could not believe my eyes!

Now to keep them all alive :/

Am thinking another tank so I can grow them out on their own :P
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 2:07 am

Go for it! My new ones are a week old today = ]
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Ok so i need a little help here
I can easily tell albino's & commons but i am thinking the only one that is common looking is the darker one in the bottom cluster. Sorta where the 3 darker ones are but the one in the middle???

Am i right in stating that i have marble/calico's in the lighter ones?

This is the same as they look in the frysavers,

Chaase's Breeding log #2 12369210

Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 10:58 pm

And also how long do you think until i see any LF progress?? they are a week old today
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Little bit longer yet, 2-3 weeks normally before you can make a call
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Is that wait a bit longer for both doug?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 9:43 pm

to be sure i normally make a call at about 3 weeks. albinos are a bit slower sometimes but by 3 weeks you are normally sure
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Sweet thanks Doug,

They all Cowed down on their Zucchini last night, 1 inch of zuch will definitely keep 200 fry fed overnight!
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 2:30 am

Ok so about a week ago, I let the 200 BN fry out into the 4ft tank once i knew they were eating. They are about 1.5-2cm long.
The Albino's are 50/50% LF/SF & the common/marble mishap is around 75% common /25% Marbles.

The pepps are around 2cm mark & growing fast, I transferred them into the 4ft this morning. Right before the breeding pair dropped another batch this morning, Right on 4weeks since the last batch.

Now i am just waiting on my Albino's to drop & my marbles to play nice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chaase's Breeding log #2   Chaase's Breeding log #2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chaase's Breeding log #2
Page 1 of 1