Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!

Go down 
+2
Chaase
Kavali
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kavali
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 19
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-03-13

HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! Empty
PostSubject: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySat May 25, 2013 10:41 pm

It's all OK, male guard eggs, I evacuate him after 5-6 they after fries become black and then, maybe 3-4 days later I starting to find dead fries! All fries live about 10 days and then died, maybe one or two survive! I don't know what to do, it happend to me two times in last month and never before! The couples are not the same ( I cannnot guaranted for female but male was different). It all indicates that fries are poison but nitrate are OK, and aquarium have same filter with another aquarium in witch all fries are fine! One aquariium is about 70 litres, filter about 10l and second aquarium is also 70l so it is 150 litres of very clean water so no way that fries were poison but they have some sympthoms (live babies are in upper level, they don't eat, and before they died they swim irregulare). I gave them swiss chard, all my fries eat that and they all are OK. Only thing that I can notice that all dead fries have maybe bigger stomach, Help me, If somebody else have same problems! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 12:22 am

Try leaving dad with the fry & do not take them away from him.

Babies need the nutrients from dads poop to grow up healthy.

Also what do you feed them & how often, mum may not have enough of the right foods to provide the eggs with correct nutrients.
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 1:21 am

that is to bad and Chaase has a point
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 2:45 am

pH?

Hardness?

Temp?
Back to top Go down
Kavali
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 4:05 am

ph 7,4, gh 11, temp 26, I have 14 aquariums and used same water for all, it's all fine with water for the last few years. Nutricion are good too, cucumber, spiruline, peas etc. I have over 100 breedings in last few years, have expirience, always everything works fine except this two times in last month (I have 3 succesfull breedings too in last month)
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:11 am

Parameters sound ok, food also. Maybe try leaving them in with dad for the entire time & see if that helps...
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:06 pm

yeah, all seems ok.

I would also look at swapping the male over with another if possible. have a chat to any other breeders in your area about a bloodline swap i.e. a male for a male. it could be a genetic issue, even with unrelated fish you can sometimes get un-compatable fish. I have had this in the past, sucks!
Back to top Go down
Kavali
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:29 pm

I try with two different males I write it above, I am not sure about female is she the same or the couples were totally different. Things that scare me the most is that no one else have similar expirience, I catch carefully rest of the fries (about 10) and put them in another tank, with water from another tank (but similar parameters) we'll see tommarow what happend put I really don't believe that they'll survive, I found today 20-30 dead fries and the rest are again in the upper half and don't look healthy at all.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi,can you say what other fish and how many are in the 70 Litre tank with these babies ? Also is there plenty of water movement and oxygenation and water surface movement? Is there gravel and if so do you vac it regularly? Do you have wood in the tank and how often do you do water changes?

Do you mean that you take the father away from the babies before they leave the cave?
Are you only feeding the babies swiss chard and nothing else?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kavali
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:52 pm

In another tank who share the same filter there are also ancistrus, LF, 11 (about 5-6cm) and one albino ancistrus. They are all fine. In the tank in witch are/was babies there are no other fish, only them. It is plenty of oxygen and surface movement but nothing special and different in compere to other aquariums in witch all fries are good. No gravel, wood, only cave, I change water before breading and after that I only vac it. Yes, I move father when fries have 10-12 days (5-6 days after they became complete black, i don't know the right term but 5-6 days after they have no yellow color, or egg visiable)
Back to top Go down
Kavali
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:59 pm

feed tham with swiss chard, cucumber, pies, spiruline but fries who die don't have tendency to eat, I believe they don't eat at all. They are all first in upper part of the tank, then start to swim strange and then died. Before they died they fall on the bottom and trying to swim, like they are poison, or like angelfishes when fries can't swim when water is hard (stupid exemple but remind me of that)
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptySun May 26, 2013 11:04 pm

A major dietary need for Bristlenose is some driftwood. See if your loccal petshop/aquarium has some & add it to the tanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptyMon May 27, 2013 1:57 am

You need to keep doing water changes every few days about 50% in a small tank and also if you have no gravel give the bottom of the tank a good wipe over.You should not be removing the father you should leave him with the babies in the cave and in the tank with them.Why do you remove the father? Also you need to get some bog wood for the tanks.Do you use water dechlorinator?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kavali
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:43 pm

I have some kind of rutine, like I say i had over 100 succesfull breedings, and this 2 unsuccesfull scare me. Only toughts is that this has to be something with genetics (but they are not related), maybe they are un-compatable I don't know. All water stay at least 2 days in barrel (120 l) and then goes in tanks.
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! EmptyTue May 28, 2013 8:55 pm

What is swiss chard? I agree that is sounds like they are being poisoned. Any little newborms are extremely susceptible to toxins. Have you checked the tank over? Maybe something fell in there? Do you have kids? They get into all sorts of trouble.

If I were in your situation I do a 50% water change now and again in 2 or 3 days.

And about the dad poop theory. I cannot say for sure how beneficial it really is. I raised 50 ish fry from eggs without dad and none have died!

Good luck, keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!   HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time! Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP !!! Dead fries for the 2nd time!
Page 1 of 1