Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How to boil driftwood? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How to boil driftwood? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to boil driftwood?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

Female Number of posts : 23
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-02-27

How to boil driftwood? Empty
PostSubject: How to boil driftwood?   How to boil driftwood? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:03 am

I have driftwood in my quarantine tank with my bn, and I've noticed that the water is yellowish even though the water parameters are good. I've read that driftwood can discolor water and that boiling the driftwood will help prevent that.

So I'd like to boil my driftwood before moving it to my main tank along with my bn, but I really don't want to boil it in a pot that's used for food--partly because the idea of cooking food in a pot that's had fishy stuff it in just seems gross, and partly because the pot could have dish soap residue in it, which could then get into the driftwood. How do you guys boil your driftwood?

Sabrina
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: How to boil driftwood?   How to boil driftwood? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 1:27 pm

i never boil my driftwood but i use either of these 2 products to keep my tank clear

Seachem Purigen
How to boil driftwood? Purigen-ultimate-filtration

API Bio-Chem Zorb
How to boil driftwood? BIO%20Chem%20Zorb

You place them in your canister filter
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How to boil driftwood?   How to boil driftwood? EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 1:00 am

New driftwood can darken the water, Especially mopani leaches  tannins forever. If you can wait and it's small piece, you can place it in the toilet tank - couple weeks process.
I never have patience and I wanna see the new piece in aquarium ASAP so I bought cheap, but huge pot just for boiling it.
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: How to boil driftwood?   How to boil driftwood? EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 6:50 am

yeah, i just went to a cheap store and grabbed a 25ltr pot.

Easy
Back to top Go down
kebbard
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : fishing, fish, gardening, aquascaping, reading
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: leeching tannins   How to boil driftwood? EmptySun May 04, 2014 9:17 pm

To get the tannins out of a piece of wood i've had, i did 2 ways. first piece was small so i stuck it in a sink of hot water for a couple of mins, then zapped it in the microwave oven till i could see liquid sizzling out of the cracks, then back in the sink and scrubbed with a nail brush, Repeated process about 5-6 times then clamped it with a big G clamp (to weigh it down) and left it in a bucket of water for about 3 days. Smile 
2ND process
Wood was too big for the microwave so i got a bucket big enough to submerge the wood, weighed it down with my g clamp and boiled the water in the bucket with the wood using a handheld element about 20 mins, then leave overnight, next day change the water and repeat until the water is clearish the following day. (you can get handheld elements on ebay for about $15 depending on the wattage, to save on the power consumption use a higher wattage to boil the water then switch to a lower wattage to maintain the boil. Very Happy  ).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to boil driftwood?   How to boil driftwood? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to boil driftwood?
Page 1 of 1