Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
volo morior
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 12
Thank You Points : -1
Registration date : 2013-11-16

To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) Empty
PostSubject: To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d)   To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 4:12 am

So i've had this pleco almost two years now and i got it from my school who had a sudden breeding surge of their plecos for (as far as they were concerned) no reason. So i had 5 and unfortunately 4 passed away within the first year (they were my first-not feeder-fishes) but this one is amazing!
Well now i'm having trouble with the species, it is full grown (im assuming since its two years old) at about 2-3 inches, but has absolutely NO bristles anywhere on its face. Now i understand females have less, but would they have none? Then i thought it was a rubber but it has spots instead of the "stripes" of a rubber.
So now to pictures, i had to take it out of the water to do this (don't worry it was not harmed in this process and i was as fast as possible) but the pictures are lacking due to using a cell camera with nothing else available. But to describe as best as i can.

• Dark body color with almost yellow spots which are most prominent on the face
    no bristles on nose or around the mouth area
    stomach is also spotted
    scales are very defined (much like the striping on a rubber)

To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) H_zps30e61e00
To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) M_zpsb9d9952f
To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) Mailgooglecom_zps90923a4d

Also, if it is a bristlenose it must be a female, but if not then is there a way to sex a rubber lip?
And for tank mates it is in with crayfish (the claws are rubber banded), a young red tail cat, mollies, platies, guppies and goldfish along with snails. For breeding i was planning to set up a separate tank just for my breeding plecs and possibly fry from my live-bearers and then a couple snails (maybe), is this alright?
And would clay substrate in the breeding tank help/hinder breeding? I read about it somewhere but figured i'd ask here.
Thank you!
(i may move this last part to another section....)
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d)   To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 11:32 pm

looks like a common bristlenose female to me mate

welcome to the site as well Smile
Back to top Go down
volo morior
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 12
Thank You Points : -1
Registration date : 2013-11-16

PostSubject: Re: To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d)   To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 1:40 am

Doug wrote:
looks like a common bristlenose female to me mate

welcome to the site as well Smile
cool, and thanks!
I just ordered a male and female adult bristlenose so i will soon be spamming for help with breeding^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d)   To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d) Empty

Back to top Go down

To bristlenose or not to bristlenose? (mystery pleco in need of i/d)
Page 1 of 1