Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Julie D
Small Fry
Small Fry
Julie D

Female Number of posts : 35
Job/hobbies : Cruising on Motorbike and collecting and breeding fish
Humor : only on days ending in y
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2013-10-30

Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail Empty
PostSubject: Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail   Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 10:21 pm

G'day all.  I have read through most of the discussions and they are very informative, however no-one else has mentioned a bn with a situation like mine and I'm not sure if it's something to worry about.

She is an albino l/f close to a year old I think.  I Bought her (along with her sister and common bn's) from Doug back in June so she would have been a few months old at least.

Problem is... in the last couple of weeks I have noticed her fins and tail becoming 'stringy' if that makes sense.  Instead of being like a fan, they have separated like hundreds of individual hairs.  scratch 
I have linked photos so I hope they show up properly as this is the first time I have attempted to put my photos on the net!

Here's the info if it helps. (I realise the Nitrates are high and am working on it.)

Tank size and setup: 166ltr, 105x36x41cm tank, a few plants, breeding cave and a bit of driftwood with Java moss starting to grow. A 20cm tall Castle ornament (that the male is hiding in - up the smallest turret!) and other ornaments/rocks for algae to grow on.  About 60% space so I can see the fish.

Substrate: 1-3cm gravel

filtration Sump filter as this just one tank of a stack of 3.  Sump has two large sponge blocks, then ceramic noodles to flow through before heating, air stone and then pumping back to top of 'tank stack'. There is a total of approx. 600L water between the three tanks and sump (sump is about 100L only) and it cycles approx. 5-6 times an hour.  Sponges are each cleaned about every three weeks but done alternately.  Noodles are given a rinse every 3-4 weeks (in water taken out for changes) and the pump itself (which has a small sponge inside) about once every 6 weeks.

Airstone/sponge filter etc: Air stones in each tank and in the sump.

Inhabitance: IN THIS PARTICULAR TANK: One female l/f albino bristlenose nearing a year old, and about 50 baby guppies and balloon mollies that are all around 1cm long. (They don't seem to pay l/f bn any attention so it's not a nibbling issue).  Two days ago I added a Male marble s/f bn that is bigger than her if not including tail, he is 14months old and they 'danced' for a couple of hours then he has hidden in the top of the smallest turret of the castle ornament since then.  He is alive cos I can see him thru the window!  
IN THE OTHER TWO TANKS SERVICED BY SAME WATER AND SUMP FILTER: Larger guppies, mollies, balloons and a few other bn's - one of which is the sister to this one and has fins that look ok.

Fish affected by issue (all/bottom dwellers, all bristlenose or a single fish etc): only this one albino l/f bn.

Feeding system (what, how much, how often): flake food in the morning and evening for the other fish (I watch to make sure not too much sinks as waste, algae wafers in the evening, cucumber/zucchini every day, occasionally orange/yellow veg instead.

current water change system (before illness appeared): Approx 25-30% a week in conjunction with gravel cleans of all tanks at the same time. (yep, it's a mammoth task but it's done without fail!)

water changes made since illness appeared: 25-30% two days ago - hours before the new guy was introduced.

As many levels as you know (pH, Ammonia, nitrate, nitirite, KH, GH, TDS, anything you can find out, your local fish shop should be able to help with this):

pH:7.0
ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
nitrate approx. 30-40ppm
GH ?
KH ?
phosphate: ?
temp: 25.5 - 26.5 (depending on time of day and heater cycle)

any chemicals used (including carbon/chemical fitration inside the filter): Tap water conditioner, Melafix and Pimafix added after water change and stress zyme every 14 days.

water source and treatment: standard SA tap water with tap water conditioner added, let it sit for about 6 hours.

Major changes in the last 3 weeks (new fish, new plants, new anything or changes): Added the new bn two days ago but this condition seemed noticeable before that.

Symptoms (gasping, not moving, bloated, spots, wounds, stressed colours etc): She is eating her vegies, wafers and algae off ornaments and gravel. She seems to be acting quite normal but I don't want to let anything happen to her so I'm covering all bases!

Pictures:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/18/63/35/19/bn210.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/18/63/35/19/bn111.jpg

Thanks everyone - any ideas or info is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail   Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 11:38 pm

It is normal Smile
as the fins get "dragged" around behind them, they fray, It can also happen when the male traps females in the cave, I have seen a male completely tear off a females fin Smile

Back to top Go down
Julie D
Small Fry
Small Fry
Julie D

PostSubject: ripping off a fin?   Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 11:53 pm

That's pretty darn extreme!
Well hopefully that doesn't happen in this case cos she is beautiful and he is quite a cute guy...

Here's a photo of him (hope it works)

https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/18/63/35/19/20131112.jpg

Thanks again Chaase Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail 1514952399 
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail   Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 am

The only other thing i would add to changing, is the "Melafix and Pimafix added after water change and stress zyme every 14 days."

There is no need for these unless you are treating an illness Smile

The less additives into a tank the better Wink
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail   Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 12:39 am

someone used the template

Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail 9k=
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail   Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 4:34 am

Made your day hey doug!
Back to top Go down
Julie D
Small Fry
Small Fry
Julie D

PostSubject: used your template   Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 am

[quote="Doug"]someone used the template

...I'm just a newbie. If you say this is the way to get the help you need - that's what I will try to do.

I have learnt a lot from all the stories and posts from people who have had plecos/bn's for a week, a year or 20 years.
Its just great to have a site like this to share info on.
I will soon be adding some photos of all my bn's.

Thanks again guys.
Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail 1650918589 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail   Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail Empty

Back to top Go down

Female seems to be developing 'stringy' fins and tail
Page 1 of 1