Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Genetics Question Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Genetics Question Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Genetics Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RogerL
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 1
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-12-27

Genetics Question Empty
PostSubject: Genetics Question   Genetics Question EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 am

My short-finned albino bristlenose has spawned with a long-finned normally colored female on three different occasions, about eight weeks apart. All the babies are normally colored with about half having long fins, as expected.

My understanding of genetics and the long-fin trait gets a little muddied after that.

If I were to succeed in spawning two of the long-finned babies together, would it be correct to expect that three quarters of the babies would have long fins, one quarter would be albinos, and three sixteenths would be both  albino and long-finned?
Would it be possible, in future generations, to find a baby with a double dose of the long-fin trait, and obtain a spawn that would be entirely long-finned?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Genetics Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genetics Question   Genetics Question EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 6:54 am

give this a read.

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/t2500-crosses-interbreeding-bristlenose-updated

in essence you are right but the danger of constantly doing back crosses and sibling crosses is that the inbreeding can result in issues. My advice is that if you are looking for a pure bred individual then look to buy one. Probably be easier, and result in less inbreeding. Personally I dont think that inbred fry should be sold so you will be needing to destroy them.
Back to top Go down
Kang Moy
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 21
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-02-12

Genetics Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genetics Question   Genetics Question EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 4:27 pm

I have not read anything on if the long fin or any of the color morphs are mendelian traits. But bases on people's experience the long fin trait could be

"""""If I were to succeed in spawning two of the long-finned babies together, would it be correct to expect that three quarters of the babies would have long fins, one quarter would be albinos, and three sixteenths would be both albino and long-finned?""""

----Yes, I got the same thing working out a punnette square, but it is only true if the trait is mendelian and each is controlled by only one gene and if the color morph gene is separate from longfin gene.

""""""""Would it be possible, in future generations, to find a baby with a double dose of the long-fin trait, and obtain a spawn that would be entirely long-finned?""""""

----yes very likely if longfin is an mendelian trait, but you still have to be will selection.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Genetics Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genetics Question   Genetics Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Genetics Question
Page 1 of 1