Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Disappearing BN eggs! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Disappearing BN eggs! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Disappearing BN eggs!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aquall
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
Aquall

Female Number of posts : 1
Job/hobbies : Nursing Student
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-05-18

Disappearing BN eggs! Empty
PostSubject: Disappearing BN eggs!   Disappearing BN eggs! EmptySun May 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Hey ya'll!

So I have visited this site a lot this past year to find advice on my BN plecos and finally decided to join.  Very Happy 

After a year of trying to breed, my young two very young BN spawned when I had temporarily taken them out of my main tank. Early on 5/11/14 is when I believe the eggs were laid. The are from my Albino SF female and Common LF male. They started hatching on 5/15/14 and finished hatching on 5/16/14. As they turned into wigglers, dad started kicking them out of his cave! So I scooped them up with a turkey baster and put them in a breeder box. Dad continued to fan his cave even though the babies were gone. (I felt horrible but hey, he kicked them out!)

So it has been two days since they finished hatching. I had counted 87 little wigglers!! For a first spawn from these guys, I think that is pretty good.  Cool HOWEVER, today when I checked them this morning, there are under 40 babies. They are still in the breeder box so I am so confused. scratch They only other living thing in this tank besides the parents are some shrimp, probably 30. There are no dead fish in the box so what could have happened? I am no confused and disappointed because I wanted to see how the genetics turned out and now I only have half of the original ones to follow.

Any ideas?? pale Disappearing BN eggs! 484291715 Disappearing BN eggs! 3235774899  Question 

Dad fanning his eggs!
Disappearing BN eggs! Img_1411

Just after hatching.
Disappearing BN eggs! Img_1412
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Disappearing BN eggs!   Disappearing BN eggs! EmptyMon May 19, 2014 5:10 am

They may have slipped out of the gaps and once they are out there the shrimp would have cleaned them up pretty quickly. Still, having over 40 for your first spawn is a great result Smile
Back to top Go down
UberWonton
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 3
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Disappearing BN eggs!   Disappearing BN eggs! EmptySun May 25, 2014 3:45 am

I'm pretty sure the babies got sucked out of the gap by the adults or they just slipped out of the gap..
Back to top Go down
JjGirl
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : Love photography & cats!
Humor : Improving :)
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Disappearing BN eggs!   Disappearing BN eggs! EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 3:18 am

I had the same issue with my Platy fry in one of those boxes. If the current is too strong in the main tank, it creates a vacuum effect and sucks the fry out of the gaps. It's horrible to see happen. I've now got a net one for my fairly new wrigglers. I'm not sure about the rest but I got one by the brand of Liya. It's a net breeder. THe net goes over the corners up the top of the box which makes it harder for them to get out Smile Totally safe!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disappearing BN eggs!   Disappearing BN eggs! Empty

Back to top Go down

Disappearing BN eggs!
Page 1 of 1