Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

finally confirmed L-183 eggs Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

finally confirmed L-183 eggs Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

finally confirmed L-183 eggs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
smallfry
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 32
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-03-02

finally confirmed L-183 eggs Empty
PostSubject: finally confirmed L-183 eggs   finally confirmed L-183 eggs EmptySat May 24, 2014 12:44 am

Well, like title says I finally have confirmed eggs from my L-183 plecos. I have had several times that I thought I had breeding activity and the male guarding, fanning, and all kinds of things my imagination good trick me into thinking my plecos had bred. But NOW I have actually seen the egg clump that the male is guarding in his bamboo cave. YAY ! I do realize that the journey is just starting but male guarding actual eggs is a good start.

The eggs were most likely deposited yesterday. I noticed for the first time yesterday the female in the cave at the same time with the male and was hopeful. Now I need to quickly get educated on what to feed the fry. I want to be ready if the male does a good job and successfully hatches the young. I think I've read that it's about 4 days until hatch and then? approx. 1 week? till fry need to eat?

I usually feed a rotating diet to the adults of zucchini, kale, garden lettuce or green beans. Will the fry eat this as well? any other ideas to feed the fry? I do have those algae wafers but the adults aren't very interested in them.

Any advice about the fry is appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: finally confirmed L-183 eggs   finally confirmed L-183 eggs EmptySat May 24, 2014 3:17 am

same food, just more of them Smile the fry are hungry!

Hatch after about 4-5 days, emerging from the cave after about 10 - 14 days
Back to top Go down
smallfry
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 32
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Re: finally confirmed L-183 eggs   finally confirmed L-183 eggs EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 10:52 am

update: it seems that the eggs have been eaten possibly. There was a couple of eggs that were kicked out of the cave and I let the male continue guarding his cave. Yesterday morning I noticed the male was out of the cave and I took the opportunity to look inside. I didn't see anything. No eggs, no fry... bummer. I still see this as a success in a minor way since they did breed. I'll keep up hope for next time. I may even consider getting together stuff to hatch the eggs away from the male but I might keep giving him chances. It would be cool if the parents raised the young.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: finally confirmed L-183 eggs   finally confirmed L-183 eggs EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 pm

absolutely! It is a major success. If they had gone all the way through then it would have been amazing. Most first time breeders (particularly the Ls) will bail the first time round.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: finally confirmed L-183 eggs   finally confirmed L-183 eggs Empty

Back to top Go down

finally confirmed L-183 eggs
Page 1 of 1