Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Need assistance with wound on bristlenose female.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 73
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Need assistance with wound on bristlenose female.   Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 am

Hi, I got an issue with a female bristlenose that looks like her tail has been all chewed up. It appears to be devoid of scales In the bottom 1cm and the tail itself is in tatters. If I had to guess id say another bristlenose has sat there chewing on the tail all night long. Not white fuzz yet but guessing it wont be long. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Water parameters are all within acceptable levels and have plenty of fresh out of the cave fry that are doing just fine In the same tank. Hoping its not a disease or something along those lines.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Need assistance with wound on bristlenose female.   Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:01 am

It looks like a bit of a nasty thing going on there Sad

I am not sure if it is cos she has been chewed or anything like that. Remember that bristlenose do not have scales anyway. It looks more like there is an infection in the tail.

The water looks a little cloudy, there are several reasons for this, the first and most benign is that you have recently sturred up the grave on the bottom. If this is the case then no dramas. It could also be caused by excess ammonia in the water, but you said that your levels are all ok so we can rule this out. Finally it could be a bacterial bloom in the water. This is commonly caused by excess food in the water, partucally vegetable matter (cucumber, zucchini etc. been left in for too long). 9/10 times this is harmless but if a fish has a wound then it can increased the chances of infection.

I would be doing a good clean and a good 30-40% water change to help the water clear up. I would also give the tank a dose of melafix to help it settle down.

Doug's Bristlenose eBook -
The number one source of Bristlenose information and the most detailed breeding guide avaliable

Like my book - why not "Like" it on Facebook!
Click here to vote for Bristlenose World
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Need assistance with wound on bristlenose female.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1