Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Shed some light? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Shed some light? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shed some light?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe_shears
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 1
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-11-10

Shed some light? Empty
PostSubject: Shed some light?   Shed some light? EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi everyone, I have been breeding Glasers Super Reds for some time now but im finding that I am loosing ALOT of the fry. I am currently using a RO/HMA mix TDS about 120 but dosen't seem to make a difference in comparison to just HMA (TDS 180). However, I recently added some really really young fry (accidently) into my L134 tank same RO/HMA mix and havent been loosing any? Could anyone shed some light on what could possibly be the reason for this. Both tanks are getting fed a good mized diet including: Courgette, Dr Basleer (Chlorella), Tetra Prime, NLS Gel, C.E. frozen food and Hikari wafers. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Shed some light? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shed some light?   Shed some light? EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 pm

How long have the tanks been running?

Sometimes it can pay to restart and old tank after a really good clean.

I used to do this every 18-24 months with my grow out tank. Remove all of the fish and plants (best done when fry numbers are low Smile ) and then I would unload a cup of bleach into the tank while it was still running. Completely sterilize the whole thing. Let that run for a few hours, then drain, rinse, and rinse and rinse and rinse. then fill, and a heap of prime, leave that for a few hours, drain rinse and fill. Then cycle again. Not sure why but it seemed that after having tank running for so long that it needed a reset, maybe pathogens had accumulated in there or something...not sure.

Might help
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Shed some light? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shed some light?   Shed some light? EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 pm

How long have the tanks been running?

Sometimes it can pay to restart and old tank after a really good clean.

I used to do this every 18-24 months with my grow out tank. Remove all of the fish and plants (best done when fry numbers are low Smile ) and then I would unload a cup of bleach into the tank while it was still running. Completely sterilize the whole thing. Let that run for a few hours, then drain, rinse, and rinse and rinse and rinse. then fill, and a heap of prime, leave that for a few hours, drain rinse and fill. Then cycle again. Not sure why but it seemed that after having tank running for so long that it needed a reset, maybe pathogens had accumulated in there or something...not sure.

Might help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shed some light? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shed some light?   Shed some light? Empty

Back to top Go down

Shed some light?
Page 1 of 1