Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Removing fry or tumbling egss? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Removing fry or tumbling egss? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing fry or tumbling egss?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 73
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Removing fry or tumbling egss? Empty
PostSubject: Removing fry or tumbling egss?   Removing fry or tumbling egss? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi guys im getting to the stage in with my pepps that now with some regular breeders and a few kicked eggs, and a percentage mortality rate with new fry that im working out my plan to seperate the fry before they leave the cave.
Im thinking to let the male fan the eggs until i can see they have almost used all there eggs sacks then take the cave and male into a fry saver and wait till the fry leave the cave and then put the cave and male back into the tank.
The other option is to get the eggs out after laying and maybe put them in a egg tumbler. This benefit of this option is obviously kicking of the eggs will be a non issue. Also the male will be free to eat and not lose much condition.
Is there any school of thought on which is the best way to go? is it possible that the male will be distressed enough by the move to not like his cave anymore or go of breeding for a while?
Also whats the best way to remove the eggs when you have a male sitting in the cave which is unlikly to move easily?
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks anthony
btw new fishroom almost in a condition for some pictures stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Removing fry or tumbling egss?   Removing fry or tumbling egss? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 11:12 pm

I'm a big fan of letting the male do the most work he can. My peps, for some reason, used to breed best when they were in my display tank. I used to have a big fry saver I put the cave, dad and bubs into. I left them all in there until they were well out of the cave to ensure they got a good feed of dad's poo before putting him and the cave back into the tank. That left the bubs in the saver.

I we not recommend taking eggs from dad, only reason to tumble eggs is if dad has kicked them
Back to top Go down
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Removing fry or tumbling egss?   Removing fry or tumbling egss? EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 am

Cheers Doug that sounds like a plan yeah the only reason i thought about tumbling was letting the male get back to eating. Should you offer the male some food when in the fry save with cave?
Anthony
Back to top Go down
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Removing fry or tumbling egss?   Removing fry or tumbling egss? EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 1:56 pm

What stage of fry development did you move the cave doug?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Removing fry or tumbling egss?   Removing fry or tumbling egss? EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 3:09 am

you can offer some food but he prob wont take it. Most males are pretty committed to their eggs. If he is starving then he most likely wont watch the eggs, or even fertilize them.

I would move the cave as soon as i saw the eggs/fry. just dont let the air get to them and you should be fine Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing fry or tumbling egss?   Removing fry or tumbling egss? Empty

Back to top Go down

Removing fry or tumbling egss?
Page 1 of 1