Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Are micro organism harmful? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Are micro organism harmful? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are micro organism harmful?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 65
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Are micro organism harmful? Empty
PostSubject: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:49 am

Just wondering if those micro organism or rather those slimy stuff that we usually find on the side of the tanks harmful to ABN fry? Hv read varying views on that, some says its harmful, while others say those were what the plecos like eating. So, are they good or bad, really, in your opinion? If they are bad, I will have to make an effort to manually scrub the sides of tank regularly.
Back to top Go down
jett lee
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 27
Job/hobbies : fishing,hunting,spearfishing,fish keeping and shooting
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

is it the brown stuff?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:35 pm

its a bit of a double edged sword im afraid. They do eat it but if it builds up too much it can kill the fry. thats why people use grave lin breeding tanks, to stop it building up too much.
Back to top Go down
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 pm

jett lee wrote:
is it the brown stuff?
The brown stuff are on the tank floor, I don't know what that is, I get lots of them, clear them daily, I still get them until I started using PP, it get lesser. There are still some that are orangy in colour, get me rather confused.

Anyway, what I am talking about here, is the ones on the sides of tank and is more whitish or rather translucent. The adults and juv seemed ok with that, but I am still not quite sure if it will affect the fry, so I do clean the sides occasionally, since I do not have a definite answer.
Back to top Go down
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Doug wrote:
its a bit of a double edged sword im afraid. They do eat it but if it builds up too much it can kill the fry. thats why people use grave lin breeding tanks, to stop it building up too much.
I am just wondering, gravel help to stop building which type of bio organism? I m seeing the brown, orangy and translucent type, which is which? or are they all the same? or are some of them brown algae?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 5:25 am

piccys?

brown stuff in the tank is usually brown algae, which is symptomatic of a new or unstable tank. once the water stabelises it usually goes away Smile

the sort of translusent slime that eventually covers everything in the tank is a good thing, thats all the good bacteria de-toxifing the water for you. only thing is they can get to numerous and then they need something else to feed on as the ammonia etc in the water becomes too little...enter your bristlenose fry with their soft bellys resting on the bed of algae.

gravel stops this, not terribly sure why but at a guess i would say that as the fry are moving across the gravel it acts as a cleaner for their belly. or maybe there is just less on the gravel.
Back to top Go down
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks Doug for clarifying. So that brown stuff is brown algae, are they harmful? and the transluscent slime is safe, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:04 am

only visually lol!
Back to top Go down
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 6:18 am

Doug wrote:
only visually lol!
OIC, so no worry, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are micro organism harmful?   Are micro organism harmful? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are micro organism harmful?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Issues-
Jump to: