Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

What causes 'stress' colouration?? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

What causes 'stress' colouration?? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What causes 'stress' colouration??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hopkins182
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 50
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-07

What causes 'stress' colouration?? Empty
PostSubject: What causes 'stress' colouration??   What causes 'stress' colouration?? EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Hello. When I post pictures of my common BN's I get posts saying that they look 'stressed' due to light brown patches on the fish. They've been like that as long as I've had them, so could someone please tell me why they are stressed, or what the causes are?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: What causes 'stress' colouration??   What causes 'stress' colouration?? EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 9:58 pm

ummm, stress Laughing

high temp, low temp, high nitrate ammonia or nitrite, too high pH, too low pH, other incorrest water parameters, too much light, too many other fish, too much movement around the tank, being pricked on by other fish, being handled too much, poor food, illness, not enough hiding places, wounded or maybe its just a nervous fish lol!

or it could just b that its a light coloured fish. there are some for some reason that are just lighter than others. I have some that are almost black while others are so light they look yellow. just they way they go.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What causes 'stress' colouration??   What causes 'stress' colouration?? EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 11:24 pm

hopkins182 wrote:
Hello. When I post pictures of my common BN's I get posts saying that they look 'stressed' due to light brown patches on the fish. They've been like that as long as I've had them, so could someone please tell me why they are stressed, or what the causes are?

I've seen the pictures and my female commons sometimes show similar markings but I've never seen them on the male.
As Doug said they could just be a colour variation.
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: What causes 'stress' colouration??   What causes 'stress' colouration?? EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:59 am

I agree with the guys, they can change their colour depending on mood, If you have all their needs covered &
If it has been this colour for months n months, I'd hazard a guess that is their actual colouration , A clear photo would help us...
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What causes 'stress' colouration??   What causes 'stress' colouration?? Empty

Back to top Go down

What causes 'stress' colouration??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Issues-
Jump to: