Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

gold fish and bristlenose eags Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

gold fish and bristlenose eags Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

gold fish and bristlenose eags

Go down 
+2
jim.and
anthony_shaw19
6 posters
AuthorMessage
anthony_shaw19
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 4
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-28

gold fish and bristlenose eags Empty
PostSubject: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 4:14 pm

hi everyone im just woundering if you can keep gold fish and bristlenose plecs in the same tank together and will the goldfish eat the eag at all?
after a bit more colour be a good idea
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 4:56 pm

It's not a good idea.

If you want to breed your BN's and have a bit if colour you could keep them with male Guppies or Endlers.
Back to top Go down
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Goldfish are cold water fish, and even the fancy types would really like different tank conditions than a BN. Goldfish will eat anything that fits in their mouths. I had a pair spawn in a tank and the other goldfish followed the female around and ate the eggs on the way down as she scattered them. I doubt a goldfish would get into a BN cave to eat the eggs (though they would if they could) however I'm pretty sure they would eat any fry as they emerged.
Neons and guppies probably offer the most color with the least threat to eggs and fry, but any other fish in the BN tank will be a trade off. Neons especially want plants and cover to feel secure and happy and that makes catching the BN a real pain.
Back to top Go down
crichards
Small Fry
Small Fry
crichards

Male Number of posts : 24
Humor : lol
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 am

The goldfish will also create bad water conditions for your BN which leads to breeding complications and poor health of your fish.
Back to top Go down
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

PostSubject: Re: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Everybody trashes goldfish. Sigh. They are not any dirtier than any other fish of the same size and girth that likes a fair amount of veges in their diet. A lot like a big plec really.
Back to top Go down
parkadge
V.I.P Member
parkadge

Male Number of posts : 97
Job/hobbies : Artist/Military History
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-21

PostSubject: Re: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:46 am

Amber wrote:
Everybody trashes goldfish. Sigh. They are not any dirtier than any other fish of the same size and girth that likes a fair amount of veges in their diet. A lot like a big plec really.
I've been overwintering Goldfish fry with my Bristlenoses and the problem I've found with them is that in a tropical tank the higher temperature makes them much more active. That and the fact that they are bottom feeders means that they constantly go after the the bns food and also make them more nervous and shy than usual. They also grow much faster and bigger than Bns.
Back to top Go down
http://parkadge.blogspot.com/
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

PostSubject: Re: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:20 pm

I am not in favor of keeping goldfish with BN, as they have different needs and one of the other will suffer for it if you try. It's just that if I had a coin for every time I've heard goldfish are inherently dirty and make tank conditions bad, I could afford the fish room of my dreams.
Any big fish (and you need to figure overall mass not just length) makes a lot of waste, especially so if they need veges in their diet, or are a messy carnivore, so yeah, they will foul the water in short order if you don't have them housed and maintained properly. My point is that it that it doesn't matter if it's a common dime a dozen goldfish or an L114. I shall now step down off my soapbox.
Back to top Go down
jeana727
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-10-10

PostSubject: Re: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:07 pm

I think goldfish get a bad reputation from people keeping them in bowls for so long. Of course they get dirty!

I keep my goldfish in a huge tank, with MORE than enough filtration, weekly cleaning & partial water changes! I have albino BN Plecos in with them (temp is 79). And everyone's happy.

My BNs even have a breeding cave & successfully raise babies. Inevitably some come up "missing" but THAT will happen in ANY tank. I catch the ones I can (they are like greased lightning!!) & put them in a small tank until they are bigger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: gold fish and bristlenose eags   gold fish and bristlenose eags Empty

Back to top Go down

gold fish and bristlenose eags
Page 1 of 1