Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Absolutely Devastated Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Absolutely Devastated Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Absolutely Devastated

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Absolutely Devastated Empty
PostSubject: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 11:34 am

Hi everyone,the past few days has been hell for me and I am so disheartened i feel like packing the hobby up.A few days ago i got up in the morning to find 15 dead baby fry.They had been out of the cave 1 week so were very tiny.I tested the water and it was perfect,the temp was good and there was no sign whatsoever on them of anything wrong or on any other fish in the tank.In the tank with them were an older batch of babies and an almost adult female and an adult female (their mother) i sold the father a week previously when the tiny babies left the cave.None of the remaining fish had any signs of anything wrong and were all happy and feeding etc.I got up the next day to find more dead tiny babies.I removed them all straight away as i did the first ones the day before.I did a gravel hoover and a 25% water change and looked to make sure i had removed all dead bodies.By now I was very upset and worried.I had no idea what to do as I could not see or find anything at all wrong.I also cleaned the filters out at the same time and sat for ages watching the remaining ones,all looked well,it was very very odd.I kept an eye on them all day long and saw nothing wrong.The next day i got up the remainder of the tiny babies were dead and a few of the bigger babies also.I couldn't stand it any longer so after removing all dead bodies i went to my local pet shop to have a look for anything that might help,I was so upset.All i could find was a new treatment by tetra called medica lifeguard that treats a few different problems.I upped the temp a little to 82 and treated the water with the tabs.Next day there were more babies dead but i could see what looked like white spot on the remaining ones!! I sat and cried for a while,i felt so bad,then did another gravel hoover and 25% water change and added another treatment of the tabs.Today there are two dead babies which looked real bad yesterday so i expected it to happen.There are about 12 babies remaining and most of them seem to be doing quite well.Some of them have no signs of white spot and some have a little bit.The mother and the young adult seem to have not been affected by it.I am about to do another gravel hoover and 25% water change and add another dose of tabs.I have ordered some esha exit and esha 2000 and some aquarium salt which should be here in the morning.Sorry for the very long post but I am so sad and devastated. Sad
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 2:37 pm

So sorry to hear of your losses Sad , as you say it's devastating when something like this happens and more so when you can't put your finger on the cause straight away.

Esha exit is good product and will also treat "Velvet" which can sometimes be mistaken for whitespot. You're probably aware that increasing the temperature will reduce the oxygen levels so extra aeration may be needed.

Good luck and hope the meds arrive ASAP.

Back to top Go down
jaffa1963
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
jaffa1963

Male Number of posts : 102
Job/hobbies : railway worker
Humor : victor meldrew
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 3:33 pm

sorry to hear your bad news.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your losses. Don't let it phase you tho. I lost my first batch of pep fry and $500 worth of adult L333 to velvet a while back. I came close to giving up but the best thing to do is remember why your in the hobby. Cure your fish up and get back at it, you'll regret it if you don't.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 10:29 am

Thank you everyone for your replies.Where did this come from? I keep my tank clean and do regular water changes and hoover the gravel and feed good food.I regularly check my water quality and always am very conscientious.i love my fish,i even talk to them,i don't know where it came from as no new fish have been added or anything changed at all.

Last edited by Bristlenoses on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Do you have any other tanks that could have caused a cross contamination?

There is a theory that whitespot can exist as a minor infection with no visible signs untill a stress factor causes it to become a full infection, for every expert who suggests this theory there is another one who will disagree with it.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 3:10 pm

There are no other tank so no possibility of cross contamination at all.So how can it just appear? This is a big worry as that means it just appeared from nowhere so that means it can just appear at any time then?

Last edited by Bristlenoses on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Have you done any straight cold water changes? Using cold rainwater is what has caused whitespot in my fish before. Havnt done it since, learnt my lesson :|
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 11:41 pm

No i always make sure any water changed is same or almost same temp as the tank water.

If they can come about just by dropping the temp though that surely means they are already present in the tank?
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 3:57 am

well it can only be already present or introduced. so if there have been no new fish then yes id say it was already present in the tank. whitespot is usually caused by stress so somehow the babys werent happy.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 10:11 am

I just can't see how they could of been stressed at all.I am very worried about it as i do my utmost to make sure all is well with my fish.I am also worried that it may return at some point.I finished the tetra treatment yesterday and also added aquarium salt.Today i am going to do a 50% water change with a good gravel hoover and start the esha treatment.I still have some babies alive and some of them seem in very good health but a few still look infected.I am so badly praying that at least some make it.The two large girls have not been affected at all as far as i can see.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Sorry to hear about the losses. But it does happen. I have lost entire spawns many times before and sometime you just cant put your finger on why. Sometimes i put it down to incompatable breeders, sometimes i can spot a nasty illness that has crept in somehow.

When it comes to illness in tanks you have to understand that it can come from anywhere. Whitespot is one of those things that people argue over all the time. Some people say that the cysts survive the tap water treatment process and can come from there. others say that the cysts can be blown around as a dust and can get into your tank from afar, others say that all fish have it and its only when they are stressed that the start to show symptoms. There is countless theories and even more people willing to argue til they are blue in the face that theirs is right. The simple fact is that illness and desease will get into your tank. You have to be ready to treat is when it does. You can help by making sure that your fish are as healthy and unstressed as possible but sometimes this is not even enough. If you are really worried about it I would get a UV steriliser to make sure that your water is pathogen free. UV sterilisers pass the water through a UVc light which kills nearly everything in it. I use them on my display tank and my grow out tank as both tanks have well over $1000 worth of stock and for the sake of a $150 UV i am willing to take that hit.

In either case, its all a learning experence. Like the Baboon says "you can run from it, or you can learn from it". We have all gone through these episodes, its one of the things that connects us as passionate fish keepers.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 am

Doug thankyou so much for your post it has helped me understand a bit more and i am feeling a little better now as no more babies have died so far and the treatment seems to be working.I am keeping my fingers crossed so tightly.I appreciate the help and advice i have been given and will take it all on board and learn from it and carry on.Thankyou so much to everyone who posted.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Good to hear Carol. Keep at it as bn are just such rewarding fish to keep. Whether it's for breeding or just for pet fish. They are always worth it in the end Good Job
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Thankyou kfenk but i'm not Carol lol! my name is Sylv Smile
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Hahaha lol I'm sorry, I'm half asleep :P Any ways mate keep at it and you'll be right Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Thankyou Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Absolutely Devastated   Absolutely Devastated Empty

Back to top Go down

Absolutely Devastated
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: