Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Pleco stocking idea? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Pleco stocking idea? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pleco stocking idea?

Go down 
+2
jim.and
mpfsr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

Male Number of posts : 98
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Pleco stocking idea? Empty
PostSubject: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:13 pm

I have several 20g long tanks. I want to ask if you think it would be ok to have a breeding pair of L183 BN pleco's in a 20g long with a trio of dwarf gouramis (1m 2f) The dwarf gourimas have been spawning for about 8 months now. Now I do thing's a little differently when breeding the dwarfs as I remove the whole nest after the egg's have been spawned and put in a 10g sealed tank to raise them. This has worked well and it saves me from removing the females every other month. The 183's only get about 4" (100mm) and they are not full grown yet just starting to mature. Any pro and cons you can think of would be very helpful.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Don't really know to much about Dwarf Gourami but pro's and con's for me are:

Pro's: scratch
Can be kept in similar water conditions (Soft/Acidic).
Gouramis' prefer feeding at water surface so competition for food should be minimal.
There should be little or no aggression between the two.

Con's: scratch
Gouramis' prefer a more placid water current compared to BN's.
Diet could be an issue the Gourami prefer a more omnivore diet than BN's and food meant for the Gourami could get eaten for by the BN's leading to problems.

Some may not like fish from different continents being kept together.

There may be others with experience of keeping the two together Pleco stocking idea? 3235774899

Back to top Go down
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank you for the input. i didn't even think of water current. As i was not even planning a filter with the tank. It is a NPT (natural planted tank) and does not need a filter as the filtering organisms live in the soil. I'm just trying to empty a couple tanks and looking for good pairing of breeders that won't eat each others eggs Smile Maybe i'll stick to my GBR's and the dwarf gouramis together and leave the 183's to the 40.
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:12 pm

water and conditions aside, if you where ever planning to spawn the 183's, them and goramis would be a big no, they will have themselves a feast on those lil pleco's Smile
Back to top Go down
Loach
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Loach

Male Number of posts : 106
Job/hobbies : Student
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:59 pm

i stll reccomend a filter of some sort. like a sponge filter would be good
Back to top Go down
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:17 am

The dwarfs would not get a chance to eat the little ones.. I would pull them from dad like my other plecos and raise them in a grow out tank. but the water movement issue make this a no go as no water flow no spawn I'm sure. Thx for the help
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Frankly, when it comes to breeding, I prefer separate tanks for each species.
It's not just for practical reasons, but as a precaution as well.
Back to top Go down
Morice
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Morice

Male Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : studying Aquaculture.
Humor : good old british humor
Thank You Points : 8
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:28 am

Hey, from my experience with dwarf gouramis the tank has to be pretty much without current otherwise the bubble nests will be disturbed. I found that having sponge filters worked the best and while the nesting is happening i turned them right down for a few days so that the surface disruption was minimal and in one case I turned them both off completely.

This being said if you ware planning on breeding both dwarf gouramis and any type of pleco I would suggest two tanks as this is the only way I was able to breed the two.

Other things to think about is although the dwarf gouramis breed in small, still water bodies such as ponds or even puddles in the wild the strains we have in aquariums are very delicate and thus susceptible to poor water quality especially at the fry stage. I would suggest breeding in a tank larger then 60L (like I did) as I found with slow filtration the water parameters went bad rather fast resulting in many many dead fry... If you really want to get into breeding them, then perhaps look at a drip filter with a decent size bioload or second best a very small canister in relation to the tank size with a fine sponge and net to cover the intake (not sure about this idea as fry will most likely be sucked into the filter if its not done properly)

also as fry are so small they need liquid fry food which can be bought or made at home (google has many ideas/ways to make it) once they are a little bigger they can be introduced to crushed flake foods.

After all of that, it sounds rather negative but I REALLY enjoyed breeding the dwarf gourami and would definitely do it again!

In short, you will have to breed them separately ... hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Morice
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Morice

Male Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : studying Aquaculture.
Humor : good old british humor
Thank You Points : 8
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:30 am

HAHA, Perhaps I ranted on about the wrong question there. I just re-read your post and your already breeding the gouramis haha...
Back to top Go down
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 3:05 pm

All good advice Morice for anyone wanting to try breeding dwarfs. I have found the male's like to eat to many or you don't get to them in time and he eats way to many thats why I pull the nest rather than the fish. The only thing I think You missed is they need a well sealed tank so the air temp is very close to the water temp or there labyrinth glads will not develop correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleco stocking idea?   Pleco stocking idea? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleco stocking idea?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: