Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Deformed Fry Question Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Deformed Fry Question Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Deformed Fry Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GhostArcher
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
GhostArcher

Male Number of posts : 18
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-10-30

Deformed Fry Question Empty
PostSubject: Deformed Fry Question   Deformed Fry Question EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 pm

This issue is probably nothing to be concerned about as it is only affecting 1 fry but, I thought I would ask just to be safe. My Common Bristlenose recently bred. They are albino, I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue or not but, I thought I would add it. Now, as I said before it only affects 1 fry who has a crooked spine. His/Her spine takes a sever turn to the right about 1/4 of the way down from his/her head. Now that being said it gets around the tank fine, just looks odd. Do I need to separate this breeding pair for different mates or is this a common issue?
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Deformed Fry Question   Deformed Fry Question EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi,them being albino is nothing to do with it.It is difficult to say if it is a genetic hereditary defect or just from some sort of damage or just a one off.Is this the first time they have bred?Do you know anything about their parents or siblings? If i was you i would not sell this baby as some unscrupulous or unknowing person may breed from it.

How old and how big are these babies and what are you feeding them?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GhostArcher
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
GhostArcher

PostSubject: Re: Deformed Fry Question   Deformed Fry Question EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Bristlenoses wrote:
Hi,them being albino is nothing to do with it.It is difficult to say if it is a genetic hereditary defect or just from some sort of damage or just a one off.Is this the first time they have bred?Do you know anything about their parents or siblings? If i was you i would not sell this baby as some unscrupulous or unknowing person may breed from it.

How old and how big are these babies and what are you feeding them?

Bristlenoses Very Happy

Is this the first time they have bred? Yes this was their first time breeding.

Do you know anything about their parents or siblings? No, sadly I do not. They cam from the LFS but were not local bred. I assume they probably came from a farm somewhere.

If i was you i would not sell this baby as some unscrupulous or unknowing person may breed from it. - I will not sell this baby. I would not want to pawn a sick fish off on some unknowing person. That hurts the hobby for all of us.

How old and how big are these babies and what are you feeding them? At this point they have just become free swimming and absorbed all of their egg sac's. I have seen them start to take the red leaf and squash that I feed their parents.

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: Deformed Fry Question   Deformed Fry Question EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Just one more question,are these parents siblings? Were they the same age/size and in the same tank together at the store?

Back to top Go down
GhostArcher
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
GhostArcher

PostSubject: Re: Deformed Fry Question   Deformed Fry Question EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Bristlenoses wrote:
Just one more question,are these parents siblings? Were they the same age/size and in the same tank together at the store?

I don't believe so but, I can not say with 100% certainty that they are not. I got pretty much all of them at different times and sizes except for the 3 Normals, I did get those 3 from the same tank and same size. But, the normal did not breed with the albinos.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Deformed Fry Question   Deformed Fry Question EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:09 am

Well all i can advise is that if they produce any more fry like this in future batches then don't breed them together again but it may be just one of those things.
If they were brother and sister i would advise not to breed them again but as you don't think that they are then you could see how future batches are and take it from there.if you feel happier seperating them now then do so.If the albino/s were from the same tank at the same time and of roughly the same size as the normals then i would advise not to breed those together either as they are possibly siblings.

Bristlenoses Very Happy

Last edited by Bristlenoses on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GhostArcher
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
GhostArcher

PostSubject: Re: Deformed Fry Question   Deformed Fry Question EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deformed Fry Question   Deformed Fry Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Deformed Fry Question
Page 1 of 1