Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Super red male not maturing Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Super red male not maturing Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Super red male not maturing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fatGuppy
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 2
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-02-03

Super red male not maturing Empty
PostSubject: Super red male not maturing   Super red male not maturing EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 11:58 am

Hi,

This is my first post, I have looked but cannot find a similar question that has been asked, apologies if it has.

I have has a trio of super reds for about 18 months, the females are definitely ready to breed.
However, the male does not seem to mature. He has the three rows of tentacles but these are only around half size, never seeming to change. He is around the 3 inch mark.

I have several years experience with brown, albino and lemon breeding and I have observed that my albino's grow and develop fastest followed by brown then lemons. Super reds are easily the slowest to grow and to mature.
Is this what others have experienced?

Thank you for your time.
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Super red male not maturing   Super red male not maturing EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 pm

fatGuppy wrote:
Hi,

This is my first post, I have looked but cannot find a similar question that has been asked, apologies if it has.

I have has a trio of super reds for about 18 months, the females are definitely ready to breed.
However, the male does not seem to mature. He has the three rows of tentacles but these are only around half size, never seeming to change. He is around the 3 inch mark.

I have several years experience with brown, albino and lemon breeding and I have observed that my albino's grow and develop fastest followed by brown then lemons. Super reds are easily the slowest to grow and to mature.
Is this what others have experienced?

Thank you for your time.

Firstly make your second post here
http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/f1-new-members

To be honest 18 months is a very long time to wait, i would replace your super red male with another if you are serious about breeding them as if it hasnt happened in 18 months then i fear it could well be a while before it ever happens.. Super red male not maturing 484291715 
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Super red male not maturing   Super red male not maturing EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 12:02 am

the first thing that jumps to mind is if there are other male plecos in the tank?

If there are then he might feel inferior and therefore not mature until the other males are removed.
Back to top Go down
fatGuppy
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 2
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Thanks for response :)   Super red male not maturing EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 9:48 am

Really appreciated. Very Happy 

To be clear, when I purchased my trio they were only around 4-5cm and I grew them on, the info I have read it does appear Reds take longer to mature than other types - I was just checking what others experience was on this front.

I have a Male & Female pair together in their own species tank.

(For additional info:
1 pair Brown breeding in own species tank. (Have had 6 spawns from these - fry grown on and sold to LFS)
1 pair Calico breeding in own species tank. (Purchased small, grown on - just had first spawn, seems like 70ish fry)
Growing on Albino longfin (x2) and a Lemon longfin in own species tank.
1 Female Albino & 1 Lemon Female in own species tank (Awaiting finances to allow Male purchases, or, awaiting maturity of longfins to see if I already have a Male).
)

I do wonder whether to remove the Red Male and place him in the large community tank to try to mature him that way - my finances do not allow me to purchase a mature Male at the moment (whole reason why I got them small and grew them on).

Many thanks,
Ricky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super red male not maturing   Super red male not maturing Empty

Back to top Go down

Super red male not maturing
Page 1 of 1