Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

OK, how do you catch them then? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

OK, how do you catch them then? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OK, how do you catch them then?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cherrypie
Small Fry
Small Fry

Female Number of posts : 22
Job/hobbies : Fish and guinea pigs
Humor : Dry
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-06-25

OK, how do you catch them then? Empty
PostSubject: OK, how do you catch them then?   OK, how do you catch them then? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 10:29 pm

My babies have left the nest. They are EVERYWHERE. I counted 15 before I forgot which ones I'd already counted.....
And they're in the filter. I found one squashed up against a filter sponge when I was cleaning it earlier. Whether I assisted in the squashing I'm not sure, or perhaps he'd got stuck there and died - who knows. In another SAFER part of my filter I can see at least 5 babies, probably all flitting in and out the filter like its a buffet, quite happy in there.
How do I get them out? Will they start to be drawn to food at some point so I can just net them all on a piece of courgette?
The "cave" their Dad chose proved to be a great place but its part of a big piece of bogwood that I'm not about to pull out of the tank everytime he has eggs to put it in the grow out tank, so I'd like to know that it IS possible to catch them when they're free-swimming.
If anyone could offer me any advice, I'd be very grateful!
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: OK, how do you catch them then?   OK, how do you catch them then? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Drop some cucumber or courgette in and watch them go for it.

If you really want to catch them, then get a net ready and when you pick up the food scoop them up.

I get loads that site under my sponge filters and on the bog wood and I find that picking each one up slowly and putting a large net under helps me catch them
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: OK, how do you catch them then?   OK, how do you catch them then? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 10:37 pm

yep the cucumber and net works or you can syphon them up into a net over a bucket
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: OK, how do you catch them then?   OK, how do you catch them then? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Put the Zuchinni in a reasonably sized net , when you think there are enough fish sitting and having a feed just pull the net up, easiest way I've found.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Cherrypie
Small Fry
Small Fry

Female Number of posts : 22
Job/hobbies : Fish and guinea pigs
Humor : Dry
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-06-25

PostSubject: Re: OK, how do you catch them then?   OK, how do you catch them then? EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks all
They aren't showing a lot of interest in courgette yet - they're cleaning the tank which their parents don't do anymore lol
I'm just thinking when they've grown they're going to need to come out so the main tank isn't crowded
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OK, how do you catch them then?   OK, how do you catch them then? Empty

Back to top Go down

OK, how do you catch them then?
Page 1 of 1