Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

General fish question Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

General fish question Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General fish question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

General fish question Empty
PostSubject: General fish question   General fish question EmptyWed May 26, 2010 5:40 pm

I know I could prooly look this up on the web...but i'm lazy today.

How do fish sleep?
Does it need to be dark for them to sleep?

I noticed one of my Mollies just sitting motionless on the bottom of the tank when I turned the lights on this morning. Shrimp walked over it, nothing. I was about ready to get the net when its tail twitched. Then it "yawned". Slowly started swimming for a sec then seemed like it was just fine. Was it asleep?
Back to top Go down
Spreebok
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Spreebok

Female Number of posts : 190
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: General fish question   General fish question EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:16 pm

I dont think they sleep, like in the way we do, I think they just sorta, shut their brains down in way. Like, they see it's dark and naturally rest?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: General fish question   General fish question EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:42 am

yeah, generally fish dont 'sleep' like we do. they can't. if they stop like we do they will die as the water moving over their gills will stop. This is why you see BN fanning their gills when they are sitting still.

What they do is slow down and drift and swim slowly. If you check the tank in the dead of night you can see the fish simply drifting gently in the water. They are still alert and will respond to movement but they are recharging their batteries.

That said, BN have been know to 'sleep'. its not uncommon to hea stories of BN lying on the back on th bottom having been dislodge from their spot in the night and waking up and freaking out.
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: General fish question   General fish question EmptyThu May 27, 2010 5:23 am

Loaches, clowns & yoyos, often, sleep on their sides, looking dead lol, only to bolt once disturbed..lol many owners have been fooled by a sleeping loach lol hilarious...
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: General fish question   General fish question EmptyThu May 27, 2010 6:20 am

Mooo wrote:
Loaches, clowns & yoyos, often, sleep on their sides, looking dead lol, only to bolt once disturbed..lol many owners have been fooled by a sleeping loach lol hilarious...

HAHA, thats how i got stabbed by my old clown loach thought he was rest in peace but then he came at me with his eye spike and ouch!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General fish question   General fish question Empty

Back to top Go down

General fish question
Page 1 of 1