Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Best Weekend Food Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Best Weekend Food Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best Weekend Food

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Best Weekend Food Empty
PostSubject: Best Weekend Food   Best Weekend Food EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:30 pm

I know the usual food of zuchini, cucumber and courgette, but have any of you guys and gals tried the other weekend food or blocks which are available in your show tanks (tetra weekend bloc, starfish block etc), grow out tanks or main tanks.

Any info would be useful just out of curiosity for me and other new members.

Thank you in advance.

LJ
Back to top Go down
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

Male Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Fish, walking, animals, photography.
Humor : Bill Hicks.
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Best Weekend Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Weekend Food   Best Weekend Food EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Are you asking about the "holiday" food blocks ?

If so I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. If your fish are well fed and looked after they can go for a week or more without needing feeding (you'll need to feed them good quality live food or courgette for BN's when you get back). All the blocks do is pollute your water and your fish won't touch them in my experience - I got given some when I was living in 'Nam to test for PFK magazine and they were useless. This was with angels, platies, cories and hatchet fish. Noticed a drop in water quality after 3 days as well - major early water change and out with the feeding block.
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Best Weekend Food Empty
PostSubject: thank you mark..   Best Weekend Food EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 7:59 pm

mark,

thankyou only used them once and in my opinion I was not sold on the idea.... was wondering if a week with out food on a established tank was ok.... and you and another couple of guys have put my mind at ease.

the blocks I don't have and was wondering about freezing some cucumber or grren veg and to cut it in small chunks before I leave so they would be easier to feed, though not sure which veg was best frozen......

going to give it a go over the next few weeks as a earl measure before we go away for a holiday later in the year....

then upon return was going to do a big water change of about 50-60% since I do a 10-15% water change evry day in my breeding tank right now....
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Best Weekend Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Weekend Food   Best Weekend Food EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 1:18 am

I'm with Mark here!

don't go near them!! I used them once when i was younger and more foolish and they killed half my fish!!

Depending on whats in the tank i would just leave it. Most fish will survive fine for a few days without a feed. I would throw in a feed just as you walk out the door, just a normal one, nothing more, then feed them when you get back. I have done this to my amazon tank with discus several times and not a worry!

For fry i would get a big bit of cucumber and toss it in. I would go cucumber as if it is left in the tank longer than normal it wont foul the water as bad as anything else.
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Best Weekend Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Weekend Food   Best Weekend Food EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 am

i just use a nice big peice of courgette. cucumber will just go mushy after a few days and will be floating all over the tank.
i cannot see any bennefit of freezing cucumber in small chunks.it will defrost within minutes in warm tank water.
as for the blocks i cannot say never used them never needed too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best Weekend Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Weekend Food   Best Weekend Food Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Weekend Food
Page 1 of 1