Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Beef heart and banana! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Beef heart and banana! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Beef heart and banana!

Go down 
+3
wolverine
laykoo
Abbiej1711
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Abbiej1711
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Abbiej1711

Number of posts : 63
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Beef heart and banana! Empty
PostSubject: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 11:55 pm

I recently bought a beef heart and banana frozen mix to give to my young albino bristlenose! In the hope it will help them grow faster and be healthy.

Obviously this will be mixed with pellets peas cucumber the rest of the diet!

But if beef heart and banana ok to feed bristlenose? The mix also has some greens in it which looks like spinach to me!

I don't want to feed my peppermints the stuff if it's no good for them!
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
laykoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
laykoo

Male Number of posts : 123
Job/hobbies : :)
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 5:25 am

ive never heard of feeding them beef heart. tell me how it works out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: beefheart...   Beef heart and banana! EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi all -- noticed a write up on another web site about this recently...

will see if I can find it again on my web history and if I can I will repost it for you....

regards

LJ
Back to top Go down
Sean1
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 40
Job/hobbies : Pets, pets and more pets!
Humor : Bad
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 3:03 pm

I feed my Discus beefheart which has banana, garlic, spinach, spirulina and a few other bits in it. The BNs go mad for it, and i've never had any problems.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 1:06 am

only give them meaty foods once a week or so. too much protein will cause bloat and fry get it easily as the guts are not toughened up like the adults.

I do feed mine frozen meat bits every now and again but beef heart is VERY high protein (tipically reserved for pure carnivores like turtles and axolotls), I would tread carefully.
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: thanks doug   Beef heart and banana! EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Doug,
always wondered what beef heart was used for... may be something I get when I get my first turtles later in the year: )

any ways hope they dont over feed it to fry, think I lost a few fry when I first started out to over feeding as I was not sure how much to feed them at the time Sad

alot more success I have now, only thing I lose them to is the dreaded filter inlet...
Back to top Go down
Abbiej1711
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Abbiej1711

PostSubject: Re: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 6:37 pm

I only planned on feeding them the beef heart every now and then.. once a week if that! Perhaps once a fortnight.
I just thought it might help my younger bristlenose (which are about 2.5 inches) grow and give them something to add to the variety, but the BN love it!

I need to buy some of those screw cumber things from ebay to keep chunks of cucumber down to the bottom as I always seem to find a pleco flying around in the cucumber shaped like a rubber dingy! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:16 pm

I feed BH to my discus and have recently started adding it to my BN grow out's they go mad for it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Abbiej1711
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Abbiej1711

PostSubject: Re: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:03 pm

There were a variety of mixes I could have chose from but chose the banana (with BH) mix as I thought this would be best in giving them weight and growth!

It's going to last me ages though so they'll have this treat coming for a while Very Happy and when my peppermints come out and settle in better (hopefuly soon) they can have it too.

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad nobody said 'Beef heart killed all of my BN' or' Beef heart gave my BN deformities!' haha!
Back to top Go down
daisyman97
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 17
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:00 am

wolverine wrote:
Doug,
always wondered what beef heart was used for... may be something I get when I get my first turtles later in the year: )

Hate to completely take this thread off topic, but what turtles are you thinking about getting? You really need to look into how big they grow because the sliders that are most commonly available in pet shops are only really suitable for ponds not aquaria! http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/ is a great forum for getting information on what turtles would be best for you, and corrects all the poor information most turtle shops tell you Evil or Very Mad

Also can't think of any readily available turtles that "love" beefheart. My musk turtles are carnivores, but eat mostly mollusks so I tend to feed them snails, but I guess they would be okay on beefheart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beef heart and banana!   Beef heart and banana! Empty

Back to top Go down

Beef heart and banana!
Page 1 of 1