Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hopkins182
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 50
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix! Empty
PostSubject: Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix!   Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix! EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:08 pm

I thought I'd add an idea for people struggling with tank backings.

1: STICKY BACK PLASTIC/FABLON:

Wipe the glass with a weak mix of fairy liquid/washing up suds and water, so the glass is slightly slippy. Put your sticky plastic on whilst glass is wet, and you can move it, use a credit card to smooth out bubbles (the water will help move the bubbles). Once its on, and bubbles gone, gently warm with a hair dryer, this dries out the water, and the glue on paper will activate and stick!

2: Aquarium backing film (pictured stuff that comes on rolls):

When you buy this, shops usually roll it up. Ask them to roll it so the picture you want is INSIDE, this stops it rolling back on itself while you stick it to the glass. When you're ready to cover the back of the aquarium, lay the backing FACE UP, and brush with COOKING OIL. Once covered, lay the backing onto the OUTSIDE of the glass, and as above, use a credit card to smooth out any bubbles, wiping away excess oil as it oozes out with the air. This sticks the backing as well as the bought solutions, or any glues, and is MILES cheaper!

Hope someone finds these tips useful. Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix! Empty
PostSubject: a good guide above :)   Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix! EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 2:08 pm

above shows a good guide Smile

though I have used both methods in the past and for a temporary measure for backing it is relatively the best.

I found washing up liquid the better option if done correctly, then after wards put some foam insulation behind it and trap it between the tank and the wall and this way it enables very few bubbles to reform or the backing to peel off.

I also tried the cooking oil method, and whilst good if not done correctly it can smell after a while.

I now swear by the permanent method of painting it with gloss tile paint.

I used to have one black backdrop, one in marine blue and one in red..... all gloss painted...
Red may seem strange but it was done purely to show my black and white LO71 peppermints to their full effect...

good luck in what ever you choose... Smile

it would be good if some tanks came with pre designed perspex sheeting you could clip to the back wouldn't it... Smile

regards

LJ
Back to top Go down

Aquarium backing fixing, and preventing bubbling....a quick fix!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The D.I.Y Room-
Jump to: