Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Urgent help - Gouramis Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Urgent help - Gouramis Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Urgent help - Gouramis

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pleco James
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Pleco James

Male Number of posts : 243
Job/hobbies : Fishkeeping, Cricket, Rowing, Fishing, Camping
Humor : Michael McIntyre and Rhod Gilbert
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Urgent help - Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Urgent help - Gouramis   Urgent help - Gouramis EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi, i have a pair of three spot gouramis, a male and female, in the last few weeks the male has become very aggresive to every other fish in the tank including the female gourami, we think that it is because they are spawning and all the other fish have been scared down to one end of the tank, it is a bit of a coinsidence that the gourami seems to protecting something down the end of the tank with the air pump, could he think that the bubbles that collect on the surface is his nest or something?
We might get rid of him tomorrow if he has not calmed down but i don't really want to, it is a lovely fish
In the next couple of weeks we will have a 6 foot tank set up and running, will putting him in a bigger tank help stop the aggression, or is it just better to swap him for another female

Thanks

James
Back to top Go down
Pleco James
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Pleco James

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help - Gouramis   Urgent help - Gouramis EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 3:34 pm

OK, we are going to se how it goes in the new 6 foot tank next week, it arrives on thursday and it would be cycled after a week and a bit, so this may distract the gourami enough to leave the other fish alone. the extra aggression my have been caused by the introduction of a new fish, Geophagus Jurupari, he is about the same size as the gourami and that may be why.

James
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help - Gouramis   Urgent help - Gouramis EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Geophagus Jurupari a.k.a The Demon Fish Twisted Evil

I'd have thought that the aggresion was due to your male wanting to create a territoty. If it was because of the Jurupari it would probably not be aggresive to the others.
Back to top Go down
Pleco James
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Pleco James

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help - Gouramis   Urgent help - Gouramis EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks Jim, i think you are right about the territory, it is probably more agressive to the geophagus because it would not move lol!
it's weird though, because there is nothing down his end of the tank to protect....

Thanks Again

James

PS: I am officially getting a 6 foot tank cheers cheers , it will arrive Thursday and maybe the gourami will be better in there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help - Gouramis   Urgent help - Gouramis Empty

Back to top Go down

Urgent help - Gouramis
Page 1 of 1