Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

breeding gibbiceps Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

breeding gibbiceps Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

breeding gibbiceps

Go down 
+3
whiskey
kfenk
simmy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
simmy
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 1
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-04-10

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: breeding gibbiceps   breeding gibbiceps EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:58 am

Not sure if this was the right place/forum , but I thought I'd give it a try, I've been searching all over the web and asking many breeders on how to breed 'Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps'
Has anyone bred these before and been successful? and would nicely share some information on breeding them.
Apparently it is almost impossible to identify their sex, only "PROS" know how to....

Thanks in advance, Simmy
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding gibbiceps   breeding gibbiceps EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Think the breeders up north spawn all there large plecs in ponds. While there are the odd rare case of them spawning in the larger aquariums, it's usually by mistake and unexpected. I was told by a local LFS worker about a girl who's sailfins spawned in a big helicopter ornament inside a 4x2x2 tank.
Back to top Go down
whiskey
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
whiskey

Number of posts : 49
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-29

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding gibbiceps   breeding gibbiceps EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:35 am

when i had my last tank, mid 90's my LFS had these big plastic ponds in the back yard of the shop.they were about 8-10 ft long and 3 ft wide and 2ft deep, in the bottom he had lots of plants, val and elodia i think. it looked like he also had a muddy like bottom, lots of caves. he kept gibbiceps in 1 and common plecs in the other. he was breeding them in the ponds during the warmer months and kept them in his tanks in shop over winter.
from what i can remember he had bout 10 or so in each pond ( that i could see). hope it helps he also had guppies in with them.
Back to top Go down
OwNz
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 185
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping
Thank You Points : 14
Registration date : 2009-08-02

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding gibbiceps   breeding gibbiceps EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 pm

not really worth breeding them as to import them cost pennies so you wont earn much from them imo
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: breeding gibbiceps...   breeding gibbiceps EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 11:07 pm

breeding these fish is an aquired taste....

gibbiceps can be one of the best and loveliest fish to keep, though few people realis e how much care and how a big a aquarium they really need.

I am going to try breeding these shortly for personal satisfaction and growth...
much research shows that they need large ponds and aquarium big enough to have deep flora in sand banks..

I myself think it may be possible to breed them in big tubes in a 4ft to 8ft tank, through research and patience.

A out side pide is a no go, as to heat an outside pond in the UK efficiently would not really be a option for hobby breeders and fish keepers.

It may be just a task too far...

I have a lovely albino gibbiceps which I am going to try to breed from in the next 18months..
pictures can be seen on facebook.... under YORKSHIRE BRISTLENOSE...

I just really wish these could be kept in a out side cold water pond, as that way it would be much easier for us breeders in the UK
to attempt this hard task Smile

I will follow this topic closely.....
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding gibbiceps   breeding gibbiceps EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 am

its illegal to import them into Aus so we need to breed them.

And Karl is right, the larger plecs are bred in larger ponds and generally done up north so they dont have to heat it up cos thats $$$

I have heard some people attempt it in 6x2x2.5 foot tanks. havent heard how they went tho. I would think that an 8x2x2.5ft tank would be big enough.
Back to top Go down
Phill
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
Phill

Male Number of posts : 1
Job/hobbies : Bin man
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-08-17

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding gibbiceps   breeding gibbiceps EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Iv just had some really good luck with my pair of red gibbiceps plecos they have managed to raise 3 young in a 4ft tank all i did was lower the temp in the tank then raise it back up after about a week
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding gibbiceps   breeding gibbiceps EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 2:25 am

Phill wrote:
Iv just had some really good luck with my pair of red gibbiceps plecos they have managed to raise 3 young in a 4ft tank all i did was lower the temp in the tank then raise it back up after about a week
do tell how you did it. what did they breed in, size and approx age of fish. just for those interested in giving it a try themselves
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

breeding gibbiceps Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding gibbiceps   breeding gibbiceps Empty

Back to top Go down

breeding gibbiceps
Page 1 of 1