Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 73
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose. Empty
PostSubject: Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose.   Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose. EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:27 am

Gday all, just starting to get into some serious breeding of bristlies and soon L numbers and peps. Got a few decent tanks going already but when I look at them they are a bit boring with just the plecos on the bottom strata and all the mid-top water colomn empty, have some tetras in a couple of the tanks and just been thinking about other species that I can breed to put in with them. I do breed some cichlids ect in other tanks but what can i breed in bristlenose breeding tanks?
So if anyone here has other breeding colonies in there bristlenose tanks can you let me know what species and your experiences with dual species breeding tanks.
Obvious traits required would be-
*Fish leave bristlenose and there caves/eggs/babies alone.
*Bristlenose leave fish/eggs/fry alone.
*Same water conditions prefered.
*Ease of breeding as tanks are primarily pleco breeding tanks dont want to do extra work on new species.
I was considering going discus but i would think that the bristlenose would chomp down on the discus eggs. Reckon live bearers would be fine but gups/mollies dont really interest me that much,

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose.   Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose. EmptyTue May 03, 2011 4:42 am

the short answer is no, if you set up a tank to breed bristlenose or plecos in then you will just have to accept the fact that they can be a bit dull to look at compaired to a planted discus tank. Thats just the way it goes.

Any of the egg laying fish are out as the eggs will make tasty food for the bristlenose and they attack during the night when the parents are not as able to protect their eggs. Live bearers are sometimes ok but it depends on the tank. I breed in tanks that are between 60-90 ltrs and they could make nice little community tanks with several other smaller fish swimming around. the issue is that you want to be able to keep the water perfect and be able to mess around with it when triggering a spawn. Adding other fish into the water will just make these things harder.

If you had a large enough tank and the filtration was excellent then you could go for endlers, they are very attractive little fish and are easy to middleing hardness to breed.

of course the are ways to protect eggs/fry etc in community tanks and these can be applied to breeding tanks too but the more you try and diversify the tank the less likely anything will breed.
Back to top Go down

Fish to breed with breeding bristlenose.
Page 1 of 1