Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 73
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose. Empty
PostSubject: Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose.   Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose. EmptyWed May 04, 2011 3:23 am

Im currently designing a breed cabinet of sorts with link up trays for breeding trios now ive got an idea of the floor space of each tray that im going to have just wondering if anyone has ideas on minimum depth of water they have had or needed for breeding bristlenose, from what ive read the live in shallow faast running streams in the wild. so im thinking any where between 15-20cm depth should be fine any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose.   Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose. EmptyWed May 04, 2011 4:00 am

interesting thought. I cant really think of why the has to be a minimum or maximum hight so I guess ur thoughts about their native habitat would be correct. That said they are found down to depths of over 2m so i guess you could work the arguement both ways.

I guess it comes down to volume. I would see no issues breeding in a tank that was say 20cms high as long as the volume of water in the tank was over 60ltrs (about the minimum i recommend to breed in).

the other thing to consider is that you need space to get in above the tank and use nets etc. Something I failed to take into consideration when i first set up my fish room Embarassed Lucky for me my racks are simple to remodel. if you were custom making a set or racks then you would be stuck Sad
Back to top Go down
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 73
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose.   Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose. EmptyWed May 04, 2011 4:18 am

yeah the plan is to have 4-5 built into a rack, with each tray draining into the one below and a empty tank before sump at the bottom that will collect the babies as they work there way through the system. Trays will have removeable drain tube on bottom of tub so i can slide them out to tend to catching fish ect, all waste will proceed through to the bottom tier then into a very large sump. i dont think ill get to 60 litres per tray but the bottom strata will be at least 60cm in length. and total system including sump will proberly crack 400 liters. going to usea large sump so if i want i can add additional racks and also have plenty of water storage so i can do largish water changes from one source may even be automated, proberly plumb my large grow out tanks into it as well so babies can be moved into same water.
Also got a metal halid hydroponic grow light a mate use to use for ummm "growin purposes" going to try running it on the 5 foot grow tank to see how fast i can get algea to grow might be handy for new babies to munch on as ive notice once the bristles get to certain size and get accustomed to the zuchini/ cucumber they dont care much for algea growing but the new fingerlings would benefit greatly i would think, heard of anyone doing something like this before?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose.   Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose. Empty

Back to top Go down

Minimum water depth for breeding bristlenose.
Page 1 of 1