Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ninoid12
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 12
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? Empty
PostSubject: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 7:22 am

Hey guys,

Well most of my lfmbn are looking great. Some are even clearly boys, with larger bodies and boof heads, with the classic bristles.
However, a few of them in the communal tank seem underweight. Skinny. A little sunken in. 'prepubescent' as such.
Same spawn, same conditions.

Not getting enough food?
Worms?

I alternate between 'Prestige Carnivore Pellets' 'Prestige Spirulina Algae Wafers' and 'Wardley Shrimp pellets'
I also give them frozen bloodworm once every 2wks and zucchinni once a week, as well as spinach or lettuce about once every week too.
Maybe i haven't fed enough. I cant tell you how much i feed- i just throw it in and see how long it lasts. All gone by the next morning. Maybe 4 algae wafers, or 8-10 shrimp pellets, or 5-6 carnivore pellets.
I had some small hydra start up 2mths back so i tried not to feed too much. They appear gone atm. I also feed a large pinch of 'Spectrum small fish' or 'Spectrum Grow' to the fish.

There are ~8 adult harlequin rasboras, ~15 adult rummynose, 4 glowlight tetras, ~ 6 juvenile corys, ~100 cherry shrimp of various ages, 1x 7cm albn, 2x 5-6cm cnb, and the 6x 5-6cm lfmbn (of which 4 seem fat and healthy)

4ftx2ftx2ft. Anubias on driftwood, crypts, hairgrass, java moss, flame moss, fissidens, java fern, windelov java,
Temp 25-26celsius. Fluval FX5 with noodles and foam filterblocks. PH 7.2, KH 5, Nitrite 0, GH 7.
Plants and other fish are flourishing and the cherry shrimp are breeding and thriving (albeit a few losses from fish eating babies)

Am i right in thinking im underfeeding?
Or could it be something else?
Back to top Go down
ninoid12
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 am

Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? IMG_0600
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 8:48 am

Doesn't sound like your underfeeding them, my guess would be worms. I'd put them in a quarantine tank with some cucumber and treat for worms
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 10:48 am

moved to the pleco hospital

Smile

their diet seems very heavy with protein. might be an issue tho it normally leads to bloat, not sunken stomach. I would go with Kfenks plan, and treat with a wormer Smile
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:04 pm

I'd agree with both the previous posts about the use of a wormer. I 'd also only feed the carnivore or shrimp pellets once a week and add more veg to their diet.

When feeding the infected fish try rubbing the veg with garlic or using a garlic extract, the use of garlic can be very pro active when treating for worms.

There is alist of veg suitable for BN's HERE

Good luck with the treatment.
Back to top Go down
ninoid12
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks guys, I will up their veggies from now on!

What's the best wormer for bn?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 10:04 am

Big L pig and poultry wormer is what i use Smile good stuff!!
Back to top Go down
ninoid12
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 12:11 pm

If it's not fish wormer, how do you work out dosage?
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Treat bristlenose at the normal dose of 1 ml per 7 litres of tank water (for the big L product which contains 14g of levamisole per litre) and you should be fine.

Just make sure you allow for water displaced by gravel and driftwood, rocks etc. Allowing about 10% is usually enough to cover it.

If your worried about your bn then you could underdose a little, as its better to underdose than overdose with catfish in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?   Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms? Empty

Back to top Go down

Underweight bristlenose... not enough food? or worms?
Page 1 of 1