Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
finalman2
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 52
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) Empty
PostSubject: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Hello again Very Happy

My mum's tank has finally matured and we have finally got the extension lead so that it is possible for me to setup my tank which in a few months will be my pleco tank.

When I went to purchase some ornaments, caves, tests and the live bacteria to get it started. I kind of came out with a £50 Snowball pleco which is currently about 3". The snowball has settled in nicely going straight to a little tunnel-like ornament, moved across the back and now come out and laid on the sand. As you can probably tell by the fact that I have posted this in the "Bristlenose Issues" section, there's an issue with the bristlenose.

Well, I am not sure if this is an issue or not. They have seen eachother and the snowball is nice and peaceful, my bristlenose however seems to be backing up and hitting him with his tail. He has also chased the snowball but not headbutted it as I understand they do? The bristlenose is not flaring out and is not changing his pattern either. So, I have absolutely no idea on whether to be scared or not.

The bristlenose is eating and moving around as normal. He still seems to be king of the castle. The snowball has not eaten anything but I am assuming that this is due to the fact that he has only been in the tank for about 3 hours so I am not sure if he has actually even found the tank.

Feeding time should be interesting as the bristlenose will be getting his normal courgette. The other fishies will be getting their flakes and there will be the normal algae wafers. Hopefully it'll be ok.

As I am writing this, I have just seen the bristlenose trying to headbutt the snowball.

There's two tunnel-like ornaments and an ornament which is a cave with like two openings at the front. This cave is new and neither of the plecos have seen it yet.

Is this the bristlenose showing his dislike? His dominance?
What do you suggest I do about it?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Sounds territorial, so long as there are plenty of hiding places then your Snowball should be able to find his own little niche and everything will settle down. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Yeah sounds like mr bn is shown snowball who's the boss. Once the snowball has settled in and they've worked out a pecking order then it should be all good. As long as there's plenty of hiding spots for the looser of any scuffles then you don't have anything to worry about. Congrats on the buy btw, snowballs look stunning. When you gonna take some pics of it for is? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
finalman2
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Cheers Very Happy

I will be taking a few pictures once the camera is charged, I chose the darkest with the brightest spots. There were some in the tank that were literally a grey colour so I am watching the snowball closely to ensure there's nothing wrong. Very Happy

He has stayed over to the right of the tank at the back since the little attack. I have only just realised that the bristlenose is ALWAYS on the left hand side of the tank, he has been ever since I started feeding him his courgette that side. There is a nice little cave next to the tunnel that the corys have claimed, I am hoping that the snowball finds it and chills, I don't want him to be too stressed.

Thanks for the replies, made me feel reassured. My mum decided that "he is just having a little paddy". xD He is even seeing off some of the guamies (not sure about spelling Very Happy).

Anyways, pictures should be here soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Your Snowball should show interest in courgette, so putting some either side of the tank will mean thet he does not have to go in the BN's territory. Do you know what it was feeding on at LFS Question

Back to top Go down
finalman2
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 6:06 pm

I have no idea on what it was feeding. Apparently at the aquariam, they feed their fish once every three days which I guess is why snowball hasn't eaten today. Maybe it was fed yesterday or today. There is courgette in the tank but only one piece and that is on bristle's side. There are wafers on the other side as well as food flakes which have laid on the floor now. Snowball hasn't come to the front since bristle last pushed her (I believe that snowball is a girl based on the darkness of the black). Bristle never ate during the first day either but started to eat overnight, not sure what to leave in there to check as two pieces of courgette in their overnight is highly likely to pollute the tank right?

I am hoping she eats a little as she is the first L number (non-ancistrus) that I have owned.

Bristle isn't leaving the left half of the tank, even if snowball is just an inch ahead of him on the right so I am guessing he has chosen the left half of the tank to be his territory.
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:19 am

If your BN is a male then give him a female playmate and im sure he will be more occupied with her rather than your snowball.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
finalman2
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Haha I would, but the issue is that we can not afford the risk of breeding. We do not have any tanks to put potential fry into and there's an abundance of bristlenose breeders around her. The aquariam nearby denies 8 people a week on average at the moment, I wouldn't be able to find anyone to take the fry. xD

I just want Snowball to survive a few months so that she can go into my 180 litre where she'll be with a younger bristlenose which will hopefully be a little more curtious. xD
Back to top Go down
butterfly
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
butterfly

Female Number of posts : 152
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:30 am

If the aggression continues you can rearrange their caves or add some new ones at each end of the tank. Having enough hiding/sleeping/spawning spaces goes a long way toward Bristlenose and other plecs getting along.
Good Luck!
Carol
Back to top Go down
finalman2
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 am

Well, there is only a total of 3 caves but only Bristle and Snowball in there with a few corys when it comes to bottomfeeders. Bristle seems to have chosen the cave and area off the the left and snowball seems to be happy to share her cave with a few corys which is about twice the size of the cave bristle has taken. xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)   Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33) Empty

Back to top Go down

Bristlenose VS Snowball (LDA33)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Issues-
Jump to: