Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Why Fry Savers? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Why Fry Savers? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why Fry Savers?

Go down 
+2
jim.and
Allblack
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Allblack
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : Student, Rugby
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-04-21

Why Fry Savers? Empty
PostSubject: Why Fry Savers?   Why Fry Savers? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi all, I've noticed many people remove wrigglers and put them in a fry saver. What's the advantage of doing this over leaving the wrigglers with the male? Just curious.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Why Fry Savers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Fry Savers?   Why Fry Savers? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Ideally it always better to keep the fry with the male and are it's believed that they can get beneficial bacteria from the faeces of the male.

Sometimes members have BN's spawn in a community tank or where there are tankmates that could eat very young fry or possibly injure them, the fry can be kept in fry savers, in the absence of another tank, untill they are less vulnerable.

I think the main reason for using fry savers is that there are occasions when viable eggs can be kicked out or dislodged from the cave. Young males sometimes take a couple of spawns before they get into the swing of caring for the eggs. Often placing the eggs in a fry saver with some aeration will result in the eggs hatching.

Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Why Fry Savers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Fry Savers?   Why Fry Savers? EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 am

What he said!

cheers
Back to top Go down
butterfly
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
butterfly

Female Number of posts : 152
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2011-08-13

Why Fry Savers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Fry Savers?   Why Fry Savers? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 1:38 am

jim.and wrote:
Ideally it always better to keep the fry with the male and are it's believed that they can get beneficial bacteria from the faeces of the male.

Sometimes members have BN's spawn in a community tank or where there are tankmates that could eat very young fry or possibly injure them, the fry can be kept in fry savers, in the absence of another tank, untill they are less vulnerable.

I think the main reason for using fry savers is that there are occasions when viable eggs can be kicked out or dislodged from the cave. Young males sometimes take a couple of spawns before they get into the swing of caring for the eggs. Often placing the eggs in a fry saver with some aeration will result in the eggs hatching.

what he said +2 Smile

I frequently move dad, cave and fry to a grow out tank until all the fry come out of the cave.Then dad goes back into the main tank. Dads less stressed and the fry have a chance to get some special attention. Smile
carol
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Why Fry Savers? Empty
PostSubject: wrigglers in/out???   Why Fry Savers? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 2:51 pm

... and some for commercial reasons ;-)
Back to top Go down
slantula
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 35
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-04-04

Why Fry Savers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Fry Savers?   Why Fry Savers? EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:46 pm

I have noticed this morning that a couple of fry that still have most of there egg sack have escaped. Will they do fine by themselves or is this the time to use the fry saver. And at what time can i move dad and wrigglers to grow out tank?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why Fry Savers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Fry Savers?   Why Fry Savers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Fry Savers?
Page 1 of 1