Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristle appearance? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristle appearance? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bristle appearance?

Go down 
+5
Angi-N-Wayne
Kurosaki J
Eaglehorsesmom
Curby
Yvette
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Yvette
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 128
Job/hobbies : fish and dogs
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Bristle appearance? Empty
PostSubject: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyFri May 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi, as a newbie and hooked on BN's can someone tell me when do the males bristle-up? Is it size or age related?cheers,Yvette
Back to top Go down
http://www.roedeanewhippets.co.uk
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Yvette wrote:
Hi, as a newbie and hooked on BN's can someone tell me when do the males bristle-up? Is it size or age related?cheers,Yvette

A bit of both really, unless its female it may take sometime before bristle's appear..
I couldnt give you an accurate answer as i bought what i thought was a female BN as their were only bristle's around the lip and she was a good 3 inch in size ....then 2 months went by and bristle's started appearing on the nose and now HE is full of them, also i have a a baby BN maybe 3 months old and not even an inch in size and bristle's are already appearing.....good question though.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Yvette
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyFri May 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Curby wrote:
Yvette wrote:

A bit of both really, unless its female it may take sometime before bristle's appear..
I couldnt give you an accurate answer as i bought what i thought was a female BN as their were only bristle's around the lip and she was a good 3 inch in size ....then 2 months went by and bristle's started appearing on the nose and now HE is full of them, also i have a a baby BN maybe 3 months old and not even an inch in size and bristle's are already appearing.....good question though.. Very Happy

Glad you think it's a good ? but it's driving me mad! I have 4 albinos that are abot 2" long, they have big fat bellies and smooth lips! I just know I cannot have ALL females tho,Yvette
Back to top Go down
Eaglehorsesmom
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Eaglehorsesmom

Female Number of posts : 43
Job/hobbies : Working on disability. Writting Riddick fan fics and watching our Plecos
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 2:27 pm

When I bought mine, there were several small bristles on the lips and around the gill/fin area. I couldn't really see the later, but my net did. :roll: However in the front of his face right in the middle of the smaller ones, there are two that are much longer. On some of the others that were in the tank at the LFS their bristles were much smaller. I'm not sure how old he is, but the fish were def. not mature. I think it's like with most other things, it goes from individual to individual. Hope you get some bristles soon.

Eaglehorsesmom
Back to top Go down
Yvette
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm still looking! :[IMG]http://i4
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Maturity and time are the best gauges Yvette- and possibly good stock. The first noticeable
off spring that I saved from my first batch of fry, I call him JBJ ( James Brown Jnr) is about
15 months old and has a full set of bristles just like the old man- full set down the middle of
the face even with tiny little splits, every fish will be different - just depends which catergory
your fish comes into - unless they are all females ( you lucky begger) then you just need to get
a male with different blood lines and rock'n'roll.
cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 pm

Kurosaki J wrote:
Maturity and time are the best gauges Yvette- and possibly good stock. The first noticeable
off spring that I saved from my first batch of fry, I call him JBJ ( James Brown Jnr) is about
15 months old and has a full set of bristles just like the old man- full set down the middle of
the face even with tiny little splits, every fish will be different - just depends which catergory
your fish comes into - unless they are all females ( you lucky begger) then you just need to get
a male with different blood lines and rock'n'roll.
:[IMG]http://i4 J

I can guarantee they're good stock Wink

As for sexing, I find in general if you look at the profile, the males tend to have a hump where you would put a nose on a human face, and a dip if it's female.

Well, it makes sense to me lol
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
Bristlenose 94
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : fishkeeping, fishing, paintball, competetive swimming for my high school
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 1:57 am

My common BN got his first bristles around the lip at about 1.5". he's 2" now and has them growing on the middle of his face... he'll probably have a full head of them in 6 months. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brislz
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 26
Job/hobbies : hobbies:cricket,t.v,music,FISH
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 8:54 pm

i have had a female thinking it was a ale i have had for 1.5 years and thought it was a male till like last week till saw the little bristles only around her outh im like gobsmacked until i actually read how to sex i wasnt very dissapointed till i realised that females get small sometimes no bristles and tendto be smaller just my luck huh?
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 9:51 pm

AH thats good luck Brislz, much easier to walk into a shop and buy male . Out my original 2 B/N that I brought over 3 years ago , I thought I had one of each(M/F), as time passed the bristles kept appearing but not growing huge on the female ,
I've seen the big hairy female in the males cave- which just confirms that some females will get bristles.
cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brislz
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 10:12 pm

yeah as i said mine has grown little ones i think they will get bigger after all shes only like 1.1/2 years old
Back to top Go down
zane
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
zane

Male Number of posts : 85
Job/hobbies : Bartender/Graphic Designer
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 5:45 am

I asked a breeder once about this when i was buying some adults. he showed me a good way to check. when you have him/her out of the water, feel the bridge of its nose with your finger, if it is soft and squishy then you know its definately a male, (even if there are no bristles at all) because the soft part is the area where the bristles develop. if its hard and rough to touch, then its definately a female. I tried this on a few before i bought them and it was very accurate. i think they need to be at least an inch in size to do this though. hope this helped.
Back to top Go down
Yvette
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks for all your replies - I still can't see any but I'll have a feel next time I catch them up! lol. Does being long fin albino make any difference?Yvette
Back to top Go down
Brislz
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 11:24 am

no it doesn't make any difference except for the fins of course
Back to top Go down
"L Number mad
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Bristle appearance? 12-38

Male Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 6:30 pm

if you take a look at the picture of my female albino in the gallery section you will see she had bristles only on the top lip and see is 6" in length cheers
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 10:31 pm

Great theory with the rubbing the lip action Zane, I think there is a lot of merit
and could well prove to be the best way to tell . I'm gonna catch some fish today and see how much truth there is to the fact. Awesome bit of info zane cheers
:[IMG]http://i4 J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bristle appearance?   Bristle appearance? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bristle appearance?
Page 1 of 1