Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

fry bloating - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

fry bloating - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

fry bloating

Go down 
+6
Doug
kfenk
jim.and
Bristlenoses
Azedenkae
jewie
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jewie
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 24
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-09-24

fry bloating - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:42 pm

all i can think of is disease as it started with only one or two then progressively got worse from there. i have had successful fry in the past and didnt change anything.
Back to top Go down
jewie
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 6:15 pm

ok i think i have found out where i went wrong. i managed to get hold of a proper ph testing kit as i was using the strip testers. it seems my ph is rather high ( around 7.8-Cool

could this have caused the problem? i adjusted it to 7.2 which is the right ph as i have read.

and on the upside i forgot i had put 2 fry in my convict tank and they were out tonight cleaning away looking healthy.

i also checked the cave in my oscar tank and looks like i have my male bn on a fresh batch of eggs. hopefully i have more success this time round......
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi,a ph of 7.8 wouldn't of killed the fry and if i was you i wouldn't add chemicles to start to try and lower it.

What have you got in the tank? Have you got some wood in there?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:37 pm

If the fry had been moved from a tank with a lower pH then it could cause pH shock, but I don't think this would explain the bloating. As Bristlenoses has said using chemicals is not the best way to go and I would be looking at what caused the pH to be high.

As for your Convicts being OK, they are a lot more tolerent to conditions than young BN fry Laughing
Back to top Go down
jewie
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:26 pm

I have gravel in the tank, a bubbler, internal filter and a piece of driftwood. The fry had been in the tank from eggs stage and the bloat was on about a quarter to half of them.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Yes as jim said if they had been moved from a lower ph to a higher one that could of caused it but i just assumed they hadn't.

How long has the tank been up and running ?
Back to top Go down
jewie
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 3:08 am

the tank has been up and running for a few months now. im just going to have to try again and hope i dont have the same problem. i have put one of my smaller albino b/noses in there and it is fine.

Back to top Go down
Azedenkae
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 46
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah, the fact that you've had successful batches in the patch really make me wonder, I mean it is possible that you just happened to have the pH off this particular time, but again, doesn't seem like it could cause bloating... could it?
Back to top Go down
jewie
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 9:29 pm

well if i dont have success this time round im going to strip the tank ie. new substrate better filter and new water (100% change) and then cycle it for a month. its baffled me as to where i have gone wrong as i have had successful fry previously.

update on this tank today is that the albino is still fine. is it possible just to have a bad batch of fry?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 10:44 pm

jewie wrote:
The fry had been in the tank from eggs stage and the bloat was on about a quarter to half of them.

When they hatched was the male still with them Question
Back to top Go down
jewie
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 11:41 am

Yes when they hatched the male was with them. Just a quick update my new fry are hatched in the cave with the male. See how I go this time
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 pm

I hope everything goes OK this time Good Job
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 1:14 pm

Fingers crossed for you ,I hope all goes well,let us know Very Happy
Back to top Go down
miles
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
miles

Number of posts : 16
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:03 am

question about feeding peas - how do you peel the skin off? does it come off easily after boiling? also how many peas will a young bn eat in a day? (mine has quite an appettite)
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 6:48 am

If you just blanch them for a couple of minutes and then give them a bit of a squeeze, when they have cooled enough to handle, the inside just pops out.

It may take a couple of peas to master the art lol!

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:22 pm

What i do is boil them for a minute or two then start peeling the skin off with my teeth lol! then peel the rest off with my fingers.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:00 am

yep, thats what i do too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fry bloating   fry bloating - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

fry bloating
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2