Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

First Bristlenose spawn Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

First Bristlenose spawn Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First Bristlenose spawn

Go down 
+3
kfenk
Doug
uk bulldog
7 posters
AuthorMessage
uk bulldog
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
uk bulldog

Male Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : site manager/fish keeping & fishing
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-02-06

First Bristlenose spawn Empty
PostSubject: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:20 am

Hi i have just cut back the amount of tanks & fish i keep & thought i'd put my 6 bristle nose in one tank there are 4 young long fin albinos & a pair of older standard find albinos.Well while getting ready for work yesterday morning i noticed the older male & female flying around the tank & the female enterd the males cave quickly followed by the male which was the first time i had seen her even go near his cave.Well when i got home from work the male was in his cave faning away like a good one & the female was at the other end of the tank eating,i could not see into his cave but i assume he has eggs in there & i was wondering how long if all goes well before the eggs hatch & leave the cave any info would be great.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 am

takes about 4-5 day for them to hatch then another few days for them to emerge.
Back to top Go down
uk bulldog
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
uk bulldog

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 am

Doug wrote:
takes about 4-5 day for them to hatch then another few days for them to emerge.

Cheers Doug,to be honest i'm getting quite excited about them now but was wondering what is the best food to start them off on?

Paul
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:00 am

once they leave the cave (which in my experience is roughly a week after hatching) they should be miniature versions of the parents. at this stage they will eat anything and everything the parents eat. just be sure not to give them food thats high in protein. Just stick to the usual algae discs and fresh blanched (slightly boiled) veg. Hope that helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
uk bulldog
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
uk bulldog

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:02 am

kfenk wrote:
once they leave the cave (which in my experience is roughly a week after hatching) they should be miniature versions of the parents. at this stage they will eat anything and everything the parents eat. just be sure not to give them food thats high in protein. Just stick to the usual algae discs and fresh blanched (slightly boiled) veg. Hope that helps Very Happy
Thanks KfenK that helps alot.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:28 am

During their first month I prefer to serve them veggies, like cuc, pumkin, (in season) peel of watermelon, etc.

Once their digestive tract is more developed I give them - tho not on a regular basis - tablets (JBL, Tetra, etc.).
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Paul,congrats on your first lot of eggs.As already said the eggs will hatch in about 4 days and they will stay in the cave with dad fanning them and feed off their egg sacs.Then about 7 to 10 days after that they will leave the cave.The babies will need a constant supply of food as they eat 24/7.I feed them cucumber,courgette (a thick slice weighed down with plant weight,other people use different things to weigh them down),Hikari algae wafers,canned cut green beans (which they love,straight from the can and just dropped in to the tank,they sink on their own),shelled peas (very good for their digestion,pop a few in a little bit of water and a quick 20 second blast in the microwave,then take the outer skin off the peas and drop them into the tank) and spinach now and then.The adults will also eat all of these foods and will enjoy them.Goodluck with the babies and please keep us informed on the progress Smile

Don't feed things such as bloodworm or any type of food like these,just stick to algae wafers (now and then) and veg (for the most part)

Sylv.
Back to top Go down
uk bulldog
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
uk bulldog

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi all,thank you all very much for the info,its very much as i thought on the feeding side of things but i felt it best to ask as i want to give any young the best start i can,i will update any progress as it happens & once again thank you all.

Paul
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Grats! Don't think there is anymore info to add so... grats again! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 6:50 pm

congrats mate.... Good Job

Can we have this thread moved please to the breeders log...

cheers...
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Bristlenose spawn   First Bristlenose spawn Empty

Back to top Go down

First Bristlenose spawn
Page 1 of 1