Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

what are good tank mates for my BN fry? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

what are good tank mates for my BN fry? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what are good tank mates for my BN fry?

Go down 
+7
Jeff
Doug
jim.and
Azedenkae
Alasse
kfenk
Down2Earth
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 203
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-18

what are good tank mates for my BN fry? Empty
PostSubject: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 pm

i have about 8 guppies in a 20L tank. was thinkin these guys would be fine together. but im not too sure.

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 am

i have found guppies to be fine with bn fry. I had guppies breeding in my albino longfin tank and they seemed to go well togethter
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:13 am

alright cool deal. how do the guppies do with current ?

i want to breed the guppies for food for my angel fish.
Back to top Go down
Alasse
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 182
Job/hobbies : Cleaner ~ Photography/Gardening/Pets
Humor : Yep i have one
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 am

Cherry shrimp are awesome in with Bristlenoses.

They keep the tank lovely and clean and dont harm anything
Back to top Go down
Azedenkae
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 46
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Aye, BNs and guppies go fine together. Neither really attempt to... eat each other.

Also as above, cherry shrimps go fine with BNs, and also guppies actually. In fact, cherry shrimps probably go fine with practically anything you have. They clean up the tank and look pretty (and breed like rabbits), besides that they don't do much.
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:41 pm

im interested in these cherry shrimp now... do they have probelms with sumps? my over flow box in my discus tank will eat them im pretty sure.

the over flow box in my pleco tank is modified so it wont. i hope....
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 11:13 pm

WHY do you need to feed Guppies to your Angels Question

In the UK it can be classed an offence to feed live fish (Animal Welfare Act 2006- Section 4) as it can be classed as causing unnessesary suffering.
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 11:30 pm

actually i been doing more research on guppies. found i can make a little money on them. i have about 10-20 fry right now. hatched last night i guess. going to feed them and get them fat and grown out a bit. and up for sale they go.
Back to top Go down
Alasse
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:31 am

Unnecessary suffering, your kidding? What the devil do they think fish eat in the wild? they certainly arent vegetarians LMAO Never heard any law so ridiculous. Glad i dont live in such a place.

I feed my fish live fish (Livebearers, gudgeons), shrimp (cherries), worms (garden, vinegar, meal etc) etc. Totally natural part of their diet.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 8:04 am

sorry to break it to you Alasse but it is illegal here in Aus too. I agree that it is a natural part of their diet but under the strict interpretation of the law it is illegal.

And just FYI, there is very little money in breeding guppies.
Back to top Go down
Alasse
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 8:40 am

Then you tell me why it is legal for LFS to sell live feeders lol

Yeah sorry not convinced that is the case here. Can you show me the legislation on that please

This one it is permitted
http://theaquariumwiki.com/Feeder_Fish
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am

Your link confirmed that in Great Britain and Ireland it is not allowed or disapproved of.

Alasse, if you think that is stupid, under the same act in the UK if the predatory fish is injured while predating on the feeder fish then it is also classed an offence.

As I said in my first post it can be classed as an offence under the 2006 act, but as far as I know it has never been implemented. Actually stopping the use of feeder fish in the privacy someones own home would be impossible.

Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 pm

By the word of the law it is illegal. The law states that you can not deliberatly put an animal into harms way, knowing that it is in obvious harm of injury or death.

Now this is mainly aimed people fighting dogs or similar, and the most logical application to fish is it is illegal to put two fighting fish into a single tank in order to watch them fight. It can also be extended to putting a fish into a tank to have it eaten.

However, it is common place for people to feed feeder fish to their turtles/predatory fish. By the letter of the law its illegal but it is common practice.
Back to top Go down
Azedenkae
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 46
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Can I see the specific legislation in the Aussielands plox? Smile If anyone has a link to it?
Back to top Go down
Alasse
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:21 pm

jim.and wrote:
Your link confirmed that in Great Britain and Ireland it is not allowed or disapproved of.

Alasse, if you think that is stupid, under the same act in the UK if the predatory fish is injured while predating on the feeder fish then it is also classed an offence.

As I said in my first post it can be classed as an offence under the 2006 act, but as far as I know it has never been implemented. Actually stopping the use of feeder fish in the privacy someones own home would be impossible.
Yes i seen that, but i do not live in Great Britan or Ireland (thank gawd)

and yep i do think its a stupid law *L*
Back to top Go down
Alasse
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Doug wrote:
By the word of the law it is illegal. The law states that you can not deliberatly put an animal into harms way, knowing that it is in obvious harm of injury or death.

Now this is mainly aimed people fighting dogs or similar, and the most logical application to fish is it is illegal to put two fighting fish into a single tank in order to watch them fight. It can also be extended to putting a fish into a tank to have it eaten.

However, it is common place for people to feed feeder fish to their turtles/predatory fish. By the letter of the law its illegal but it is common practice.
I want to see specific legislation in regard to this.

I did a bit of a search around myself. What law is there is VERY grey, if there at all. Some parts of Oz do not even consider a fish as an animal, so it doesnt come under the animal welfare laws at all. Other States do consider it an animal but there are exemptions

So yeah sorry, still definately not convinced it is actual law. I'm thinking its more along the lines of disapproved of and the disapprovers stating it as law to help their case

If anyone can show me the actual "word of the law" pertaining to this please
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:41 pm

it depends on what state you are in as animal welfare acts are not federal

for WA it is under the Animal welfare act 2002 section 19 (basically all parts of this section apply)

For ACT it is Animal Welfare Act 1992 Section 7A Part 1

For SA a fish is not considered an 'animal' so we may torture them all we want

For QLD it is covered Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 section 18

For NSW the legislatgion is very wishy washy but Prevention of Cruelty to Animals act 1979 section 5 & 6

For NT it is the Animal Welfare Act (ND) section 6 but again it is a bit weak in its wording.

For Vic it is the Prevention of cruelty to Animals act 1986 section section 9 & 10

There is the word of the law. It is grey but that said if someone decided to use it against a fish keeper then there is a possibility of them getting into trouble.

I feed my oscars live fish, I am ok with the practice. then again i live in SA and am allowed to. I just think people should be informed.

Now, back on topic!

If you are looking for good tank mates for Bristlenose then shrimp are the best bet, add little to the bio load of the tank and will help keep it clean. Apart from that things like guppies and endlers are ok but they will increase the bio load of the tank and when we are talking about small breeding tanks this can be an issue.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 am

How about crayfish? Would like to have some in my community tank(also my grow out tank), do they pose danger to fry?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:47 am

yup, they are generally not predators but will take the oppertunity if it ever came up and little baby bristlenose are just a bit too small, slow and silly to get away.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:55 am

Ok thanx! Will be 3 weeks yet but will start shopping around Smile fry will be 5 weeks old(since emerging from cave) by then.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Crayfish aren't good tank mates for bristlenoses generaly.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:45 pm

How about cherry shrimp? Bn are mytop priority, but would like to add some color/variety in a clean-up crew.
Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Cherry Shrimps are great tank mates, I've got them in with my fry in the grow out and they get on fine. Often seen hitching a free ride on the bigger BNs

cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Wonderful! Thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellysems
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
Ellysems

Female Number of posts : 2
Job/hobbies : Fish Monger/ Comic Book Seller
Humor : Like my martinis...
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Pleco friends :)   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? EmptySat May 12, 2012 12:51 am

I have platies, guppies and cories in my big community tank with my plecos as well as a boat load of ram horn snails and none of them bother them bother any of the others fry, there is also a betta in the tank, but he is just a temporary housing mate while i am moving my fish room. I suppose what I was trying to say is platies, guppies, and cories all seem to be just fine with bn pleco fry. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://snoutsheartsprouts.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what are good tank mates for my BN fry?   what are good tank mates for my BN fry? Empty

Back to top Go down

what are good tank mates for my BN fry?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next