Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Will discus eat my BN fry? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Will discus eat my BN fry? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will discus eat my BN fry?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cody.sheridan-2008
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 29
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Will discus eat my BN fry? Empty
PostSubject: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 2:20 pm

I recently got a trio of albino BN (12 days ago actually) and they have already bred...(and the male has been brooding for a while) Cool

I am wondering if my discus will eat the fry?

Should I separate him out?

Should I put the females with him?

When can I separate him and the fry?

Any help would be appreciated, cause I wasn't planning on this happening so soon...

Cheers
Cody
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi,yes they will probably eat the fry.You can move dad with his cave to a safer tank if you have one as long as the perameters are roughly the same and it is cycled.Don't seperate the dad from the babies,they will leave the cave roughly 7 to 10 days after hatching and it takes about 4 days to hatch,the dad will fan them until they leave the cave.You don't need to put the females in with him.

To move them place a jug into the tank and let it fill with water then carefully place the cave into it then transfer this to the new tank and carefully place the jug into the new tank then carefully place the cave into the new tank.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Will discus eat my BN fry? Smiley-signs064 Excellent advice from Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cody.sheridan-2008
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 8:52 pm

thanks for that! I will start a new tank up this arvo with 100% tank water. Will a 30l nano be big enough? I'll chuck in a sponge filter.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi as i said it must have a fully cycled filter and have very similar perameters and should contain bog wood.A 30 litre is a little small in my opinion,i wouldn't go smaller than a 2 foot by 1 foot (approx 65 litres)
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 11:08 pm

yeah, the nano will be a bit small, the amount of waste the litte tackers make will blow your mind. you can always use a fry saver in the main tank. I made mine from a tupperware container, some mesh and some curtain hooks
Back to top Go down
cody.sheridan-2008
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Doug wrote:
yeah, the nano will be a bit small, the amount of waste the litte tackers make will blow your mind. you can always use a fry saver in the main tank. I made mine from a tupperware container, some mesh and some curtain hooks

Alrighty then, I will make one up now, I'll make it up out of some Perspex.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 am

Yeah nice one. My grow out tank is a 4ft tank, that said i run on average about a spawn a week (used to be much higher than that but alas im very time poor at the moment). Normally i have about 500-1000 BN fry. for a single spawn a 2-3ft tank should be heaps Smile
Back to top Go down
cody.sheridan-2008
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 am

Doug wrote:
Yeah nice one. My grow out tank is a 4ft tank, that said i run on average about a spawn a week (used to be much higher than that but alas im very time poor at the moment). Normally i have about 500-1000 BN fry. for a single spawn a 2-3ft tank should be heaps Smile

the spawn looks quite small as well (from what I could see there are probably about 20 eggs). This said he has crawled up into a lantern ornament into the handles on the side so visibility is terrible.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 am

this spawn is small, next one will be bigger, takes them a while to build up to it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cody.sheridan-2008
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Fry saver   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 12:47 am

Took me a while to get it siliconed up (don't have any solvent for gluing Acrylic)

Will discus eat my BN fry? P1060210

Will discus eat my BN fry? P1060211
Back to top Go down
cody.sheridan-2008
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 4:14 am

and seemingly just in time, when I put them into the fry saver I found a bunch of wrigglers (luckily they all stayed in the cave). Very Happy Will discus eat my BN fry? 1514952399
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will discus eat my BN fry?   Will discus eat my BN fry? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will discus eat my BN fry?
Page 1 of 1