Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 203
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-18

just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal Empty
PostSubject: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 am

alright here is the role call right now.

8 neon tetra
10 angel fish
and a few baby BN and new pair.

the tank seems a little boring.

so should i add a molly or 2?

maybe some other tetras or something..... once the female lays the eggs. i will pull the male and his cave out to put in a extra 20 gal i have.

Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Mollys have a reputation for eating BN fry Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:09 pm

there will be no fry in this tank. this tank holds babies 2months or older. much bigger then mollies can eat. my 20 gallon tanks hold all the fry till they hit about an inch or so. then i put them in this 60 gal
Back to top Go down
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

Female Number of posts : 93
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:25 pm

I have alot of Panda Gold dust Lyretail Mollies in my community tank and while they are beautiful. If you lived close enough I would give them to you.

They are sooo annoying as they always get in the way when I'm siphoning. I always have to keep my hand on the hose as I've managed to siphon a few up. They are always hungry and while they generally will not eat their own fry, as molly fry
are rather large in comparison even to other livebearer fry....

Jim is correct . They will most certainly eat your bn fry, If your other fish don't get them first

I gave my breeders a tank of their own and it's working out much better plus it seem to be less stressful for the male. I had a couple babies even leaving the cave on hatch day. Most all were out in 5 days.

btw, my pair spawned 3 days after moving them to a tank of their own

Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 5:10 pm

i only have 1 20 gallon right now and there is a pair already in it. so i dont want to mix up the females. so the females for my 2nd pair stay in the 60 gal. when the male has a clutch to take care of he will be moved to the 20 gal with the other pair. once the babys come out of his cave he will be moved back.

the 20 gal only has guppies in it and some red shrimp. so there isnt anything to eat the fry in that tank. the 60 gal will never have fry in it. the babies that are over 1 inh will be moved to the 60 gallon.

FYI.. im going to get another 20 gallon next month since the LFS is havin a sell on tanks. so this will not always be the way i do things.
Back to top Go down
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 am

With a spawn of 60 I grew them out in a 40 breeder and while i'm not sure what works for others but, with the daily waterchanges that I do I personally can't imagine growing them out in anything smaller.
My pair now has a 2 week old spawn and the tank they are in is a 28 bowfront that has gravel on the bottom. Now I'm realizing what a mistake I made as I should have left the tank bare bottom so they could be easily transferred to a larger growout tank as I don't think the 28 is big enough.
Hopefully, soon I'll be setting up one of my spare 55 gallon tanks to use exclusively for growout. I do like leaving the male with the babies and but I'm kinda kicking myself for doing things the way I did.

Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 am

my wife would kill me if i got 2 more 55 gallon tanks. but i could do this if i sold my 60 gallon tank with stand. built my own stand to hold the 2 55 gallon tanks. takes up same amount of room
Back to top Go down
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 1:00 am

Keep an eye out for the $1 a gallon sales that Petco has on standard size aquariums. They do it a couple times a year.

My guy like the big "tank busters" I figure I'll just draw him into my madness with a tank of his own Twisted Evil

and I forgot to mention, Mollies with their rubbery lips ,have to taste everything, they were always trying to nibble on my males bristles at feedin time. He always had his stabbers out when they got near
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 am

yes the pet co thing is every 3 months. thats when i get my tanks. my wife doesnt care i spend money on my fish. its the face we have a small place and alot of tanks already. she would be a little mad if i got more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal   just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal Empty

Back to top Go down

just lookin for some new tank mates for my 60 gal
Page 1 of 1