Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Is she full of eggs? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Is she full of eggs? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is she full of eggs?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
axle
Small Fry
Small Fry
axle

Male Number of posts : 27
Job/hobbies : Chippy/tropical fish
Humor : Non existant
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Is she full of eggs? Empty
PostSubject: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 1:33 pm

Gday all.I managed to find somebody to swap a couple of my male commons over for a couple of mature females. And I have a suspicion that atleast one of them may be gravid. She is about 9cms long and is fairly relentlessly trying to get into my biggest males cave. But the other male in the tank seems to be guarding the alphas cave entrance. Is this normal behaviour? Should I put the other male into a separate tank?Heres some pics tell me what you think.[img]Is she full of eggs? 2u6fk95[/img][img]Is she full of eggs? 2ez7fb7[/img]
Cheers for any advice.
Back to top Go down
zane
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
zane

Male Number of posts : 85
Job/hobbies : Bartender/Graphic Designer
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 9:13 am

hey axle. wow thats a good swap you got there. that girl is huge. and in my oppinion she is definately loaded with eggs. how many females/males do you have in your tank? sounds like the male that is stopping her from going in the others cave is just competing for her attention. if i was in your situation i would either move him to a separate tank untill she spawns with the male she wants to, or i would make sure that the problem male has his own cave/area for him to stay in. once your males have claimed a cave as their own, they shouldnt really venture around to others. if you plan on leaving him in there with them, then make sure his cave cant see the other one. put plants and things between them and angle them away from eachother. do some cool water changes and im sure that this girl will spawn for you in no time. =)
Back to top Go down
axle
Small Fry
Small Fry
axle

PostSubject: I have eggs   Is she full of eggs? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 11:27 am

Hi zane thanks for the reply. Id been keeping an eye on the situation and decided last night to move the other male to a different tank. So now there is only one alpha male and three females( all of different sizes but all quite fat)in the tank together. I did a 50% cold water change today and within one hour the female in the pics was in the cave with him. As she came out I had a peek in and there is a heap of eggs in there. I cant believe it, and now there is a different female trapped in with him.
I cant wait to see if there is any more eggs in there.
And hopefully he knows what to do and is a good dad.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Good to hear you've had a win axle, sometimes my females will be so keen to breed that when I re-introduce the males cave all 3 of my females will have a look at the cave with the possibility of a double or even triple spawn.
And now 1 of your females have spawned you can pretty much guarantee the others will follow suit. I hope you've got at least one spare tank for the youngins, your gonna need it.
cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
axle
Small Fry
Small Fry
axle

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Yeah I know I thought I was onto a good thing until the male kicked out the eggs last night ( well over 100 eggs ) and although I carefully nettted them and put them into a strainer type device I dont know about my chances of their survival. I have a very slight current running through it with air bubbles. But I dont know weather or not I should hav the eggs rolling around or stationary.
My guess was stationary so Ive set it up that way and now Im hopin for the best. Fingers crossed. Any advice for me will be much appreciated.
If you dont like my chances of any surviving please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 12:28 am

You'll be right axle, you've got the right idea anyway with putting them
in a net and current, only other thing I could suggest is if have air pump with
a variable speed so you can turn it down real low handy add a small air stone to it and put the stone in the net.
It happen to me the first time as well , but that was half my fault.
Good air and current helps keep fungus's from attacking the eggs.
cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
axle
Small Fry
Small Fry
axle

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 12:31 am

Air stone. Will do
Thanks again Kurosaki your advice is really appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 pm

No probs axle, it should take between 5-7 days for the eggs to hatch+ if you see any eggs going white and fuzzy try to pick them out( a pair of pointed long nose tweezers are perfect for the job).
Let us know how you get on in a weeks time.
cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
axle
Small Fry
Small Fry
axle

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 5:41 am

If and when they do start hatching how long should I leave em in the strainer for? should I keep the air and current the same as now? Also should I wait for the egg sacks to disapear before I feed the fry?
Also Kurosaki I think you were right with the triple spawn thing. The eggs that were kicked out of the cave were from 2 females as far as I can work out And then yesterday the last female ventured into the cave and did her thing. The cave is now chockers again. And to top it off the male seems to be doin his bit to fan and protect this time. So far so good anyway.I lost count at 140 eggs in the strainer along with the small batch in the cave I am bound to get atleast some survivers now.I went and got a small tank off my bro yesterday and purchased a sponge filter which I now have running in the tank to get it ready for the fry.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 9:46 am

You can leave them in the strainer for as long as you like ( sure saves time catching them later)it's leaving them with dad you'll have to get the hang of.
As for feeding, you'll start to notice when they are looking like fish( if they are still super young and hungry they 'll still find something to munch) I usually start with just a little bit of flake, bigger bits are preference - then you actually notice when they start eating and the food disappears, then algae bits , but just feed again when you can't see any food.
And the new little tank - I'd just syphon off some water from the bigger tank , it;s all ready aged and the same conditions as what the egg/ fry will be used to .
Have fun.
cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
axle
Small Fry
Small Fry
axle

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 10:19 am

All the eggs have hatched. Except for the three that I removed cos they went white. They all hatched a few days ago and now all the egg sacs have disappeared and just a few fish a starting to find the food. I havnt lost any yet and they all seem to be doin well. And believe it or not the commons in my community tank have also spawned at the same time which have also just hatched. Babys everywhere!
Cheers to all that have given help and advice.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 pm

cheers Like I said axle "you'll be right ", really good to hear it's all panned out good for you .
Enjoy the task of raising baby fish cheers
cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 3:37 pm

cheers well done mate cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is she full of eggs?   Is she full of eggs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is she full of eggs?
Page 1 of 1