Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater Empty
PostSubject: My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater   My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:55 am

OK, I know, someday I may eat my words, but right now I really like this fish! He/she is the most vegetarian fish I own. Eats NONSTOP, BN don't even come close, but never gives protein foods a second look. However, drop a few peas in and you get what I can only call a fish Happy Dance!

Will also share it's bog wood cave with pretty much anybody except the Common Plec, who use to own it till growing too large to feel hidden in it anymore. That big kid does get chased, but no one else. It's only a couple years old, so we'll see what happens, but I'm wondering if much of the bad rap comes from starving CAEs trying to survive any way they can, because I kid you not, this fish eats like nothing I've seen, and isn't fat (unlike the MUCH LESS vegetarian SAEs in the pic).
My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater Tropfs10
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater   My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:15 am

Yeah mine were never aggressive either. But I always offered plenty of food and hiding spots for all.
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater   My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 am

ktk05 wrote:
Yeah mine were never aggressive either. But I always offered plenty of food and hiding spots for all.

That's good to hear, I did worry for a long time since the CAE is in with some Angels, supposedly perfect victims, a slow moving, flat sided, species. I still watch for any sign of him/her developing a taste for slime coat, but it just hasn't occurred (yet?).

How long did you have yours and how big did they get? Mine grew very quickly the first year, but seems to have slowed now. It's about 6 inches and I know they can get much bigger. Did you have more than one together? Did they get along/share caves or keep to their own?

Sorry for all the questions, but this species interests me since my experience seems so at odds with the norm. My very first job was in a pet shop (go figure!) and I clearly remember even the baby CAEs going after other fish- but they were in a tank with dozens, and NEVER given any veg or proper food, so what were they to do? The perception then seemed to be that they lived on algae, and excess food, even customers weren't advised to actually feed the poor things- no wonder so many people had bad experiences! pale
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater   My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 am

Whoah, my first job was Also at a pet store where they were kept by the dozens! Weird!! At the store these fish were fed an abundance of flakes and rarely picked on the platies they were kept with. I has mind maybe a year and a half before I moved. It was about 4ish inches I want to say. I keep it with angels, tinfoil barbs, a needle nose far, and a BN. The fish has lots of caves, wood, and fake plants. They were fed flakes, bloodworms, algae wafers, veggies, and feeder minnows. I only had the one who did not normally share a cave with anyone. A friend of mine once kept 2 together And they were never sharing a cave that I saw and pretty much stuck to themselves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater   My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater Empty

Back to top Go down

My(not yet a maniacal killer)Chinese Algae Eater
Page 1 of 1