Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Would female BNs bother fry? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Would female BNs bother fry? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Would female BNs bother fry?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Would female BNs bother fry? Empty
PostSubject: Would female BNs bother fry?   Would female BNs bother fry? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:52 pm

As much as I love breeding my fish and am excited to breed the BN, I need a plan for population control. Not to mention the poor fishies cannot be breeding 100% of the time, I hardly think that's healthy.

I am thinking of placing all of my females into my 55gallon fry tank (which has swordtail fry and eventually BN fry.) Does anybody forsee this being a problem?

I also like the idea of knowing exactly which fish are the parents.
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Would female BNs bother fry?   Would female BNs bother fry? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:24 pm

No problems I can see, but why not move your male into that tank? Then the BN fry would be safe and you wouldn't have to catch and move them into the grow out tank, (which can be a royal pain) , you can let your male rest and put in the female of your choice when you want them to spawn again.

Sarah Would female BNs bother fry? 1514952399

Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

PostSubject: Re: Would female BNs bother fry?   Would female BNs bother fry? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Mostly because I have 5 males and only 3 females. I want to give the males all their own tanks so they can grow the best beards possible, lol. If I had one male for sure that would be the plan. I can't believe how quick my juvies grew up and became sexable!

I just caught the male with babies now and moved him and the little guys to a ten gallon nursery. It was no problem at all. I just picked up the cave and transferred it into a plastic container (all underwater) then transferred that the the 10 gallon. No nets or anything!
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Would female BNs bother fry?   Would female BNs bother fry? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi,no the females will not bother the fry.As long as there is lots of room and plenty of food there will be no problems.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Would female BNs bother fry?   Would female BNs bother fry? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 12:28 am

ktk05 wrote:
Mostly because I have 5 males and only 3 females. I want to give the males all their own tanks so they can grow the best beards possible, lol. If I had one male for sure that would be the plan. I can't believe how quick my juvies grew up and became sexable!

I just caught the male with babies now and moved him and the little guys to a ten gallon nursery. It was no problem at all. I just picked up the cave and transferred it into a plastic container (all underwater) then transferred that the the 10 gallon. No nets or anything!

Didn't realize you had 5 males. I was speaking of the not so easy task of catching and transferring already emerged fry into a grow out tank, but from a ten gal maybe it won't be quite as Would female BNs bother fry? 3317116823 difficult.

Good luck again, Sarah
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

PostSubject: Re: Would female BNs bother fry?   Would female BNs bother fry? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 am

Yeah, I got a group of juvies back in September and a surprising amount of them are male.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would female BNs bother fry?   Would female BNs bother fry? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would female BNs bother fry?
Page 1 of 1