Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

peppermints breeding? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

peppermints breeding? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

peppermints breeding?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
munter
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
munter

Male Number of posts : 78
Job/hobbies : Meh
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-08-10

peppermints breeding? Empty
PostSubject: peppermints breeding?   peppermints breeding? EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 am

A friend of mine use to keep pepps and told me his trick to get them to breed. he had a 90- 95% success rate. Im not sure if i want to risk it.
He says to turn the temp down to 22 degrees and dont feed them or change the water for 2 weeks, then do a large water change turn the temp up to 28 degrees and feed them twice as much as normal.Its supposed to trick them into thinking its the start of the wet season?
I dont know if i can trust 2 weeks with no food.What do you guys think? Would you be game to not feed for 2 weeks?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishfood.tel
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: peppermints breeding?   peppermints breeding? EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Geez that seems a bit extreme not feeding for 2 weeks , you wouldn't catch me doing it , all though I am at the point of turning my heater right the way down @ the next water change.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
mattmania
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Job/hobbies : Master sign writer
Humor : shaken not stirred
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: peppermints breeding?   peppermints breeding? EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 5:42 am

hey mate.... hold that thought i think that's extreme bro.

All i did to get mine going was feed feed feed (so the females were nice n fat).

Then i kept doing 60% cold water changes until they bred. The idea is doin such a big cold water change tricks them into thinking it's wet weather season.

Just be sure to add chlorine neutralizer to the water you add. i did a cold water change every second day. Let me know what you decide to do in the end.
By the way my breeding tank is always at a constant 26deg, when i did the cold water changes it dropped to 20 and slowly came back up to 26.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iopenersigns.com.au
munter
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
munter

Job/hobbies : Meh
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: peppermints breeding?   peppermints breeding? EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:14 am

i thought it was a bit extreme but he recons it works.i couldnt not feed them for that period of time.
mattmania i think ill try yr method before i go down the other road.
i feed them heaps everyday, she was just gravid i did 2 water changes over last week but nothing, ill have to try doing bigger water changes.
thanx mattmania. ill let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishfood.tel
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: peppermints breeding?   peppermints breeding? Empty

Back to top Go down

peppermints breeding?
Page 1 of 1