Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

calico breeding with commons Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

calico breeding with commons Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

calico breeding with commons

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

calico breeding with commons Empty
PostSubject: calico breeding with commons   calico breeding with commons EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 am

this question no doubt has been asked a number of times but im looking for a straight up answer to my question. i have a male calico bn and two female commons. the question is what are my chances of getting calico fry? i dont know the males origins so lets just say hes got a calico bloodline for argument sake :roll:
oh and they have tried to breed coz at one stage they had eggs. i dont know what happened (eggs gone, no fry) but i hope they get it right eventually Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: calico breeding with commons   calico breeding with commons EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:43 am

I'm "guessing" it would be the same deal as commonxalbino's , seeing as they are
all the same fish( I think the "calico" is only a colour mutation of Sp.3(common)
if you say they have breed before keep going and see what you get, maybe common browns, maybe calico's(or marbles).
Keep us posted and maybe some pix when they are bigger.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: calico breeding with commons   calico breeding with commons EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Any chance you could get a clear picture of each plec???
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: calico breeding with commons   calico breeding with commons EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 pm

pics

female
calico breeding with commons DSC00175

smaller male
calico breeding with commons DSC00173

calico male
calico breeding with commons DSC00174

the females photo was taken later in the day as i had a hard time gettin her out of her hiding spot Laughing and while catchin them found out the other common was a male??? sneaky bugger didnt have big bristles when i got him scratch
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: calico breeding with commons   calico breeding with commons EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 5:20 pm

the bottom male pic is a stunner.....
He is what you call a real Alpha Male especially with his bristle's branching at the ends...

My guess is, is that if your fem will spawn with any of these it will be him first...
I would just feed her up nice and plump and do a few water changes and see what happens....

Cheers for posting the pic's...... cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: getting calico fry   calico breeding with commons EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:28 pm

If I had these fish and was interested in getting some calico fry, I would remove the common brown male a leave only the calico male with the brown female. That way I would be 100% sure who the father of all the fry was and this is important here because the whole project depends upon the fry (which will probably be all normal browns) to carry the calico gene.
I would then keep females to breed back to the calico father and that should produce some calico fry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: calico breeding with commons   calico breeding with commons Empty

Back to top Go down

calico breeding with commons
Page 1 of 1